Waiting Game

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Waiting Game

"What happened?" he asked, his voice low as he moved closer to me. He herded me off to the side. Out of the way of prying eyes, I realized as we rounded the corner into the closest alley. "Where have you been?"

"Would you believe me if I said I took a vacation?"

"Maybe if you didn't look like you went one too many rounds with an MMA fighter."

"Well thanks."

He blinked at me. Once. Twice. Then he ran a hand through his hair, completely destroying the calm composure he had been keeping. His eyes snagged on that billowing smoke in the distance, and then they ran over me again. They cataloged the bruising, the cuts, the ash I was sure smudged my face and clothes. He blew out a breath, letting his head fall back.

"He's dragged you into it, hasn't he?"

My hackles rose, and I fought not to glare at him. "I actually got myself into this mess, thank you."

"I don't doubt it," he muttered, a smirk toying with his mouth as he dropped his head to look at me again. "Do you need my help?"

"Not yet."

"So, the bombing that just happened in the square?"

"Are you a cop now?"

"No," he huffed. "But if you need legal representation, you know you can come to me, right?"

"Chris," I sighed. I opened my mouth to continue, but at that moment a familiar SUV rolled to a stop at the mouth of the alley. Thankfully, it wasn't Vincent's Escalade we had taken today.

Vincent let the engine idle as he swung himself out of the vehicle. His forest eyes landed on Chris, and I watched the mask snap into place. His gaze was sharper, that muscle in his jaw ticking as he stalked toward us. Chris gave Vincent a nod of acknowledgement before returning his attention to me. Under the scrutiny of both of them, I forced myself to straighten my spine and raise my chin. I'd be damned if I looked weak in front of them.

Although the minute Vincent's arm wrapped around my waist, I melted into him. He tipped my face up, his thumb running over my bottom lip. His eyes softened the tiniest bit, and he pressed a kiss to my forehead. By the time he faced Chris again, there wasn't an ounce of tenderness in his expression.

"Monroe," Chris grunted, narrowing his eyes.

"Kenton," Vincent replied.

"So, you two do know each other." They both looked at me, brows raised. "What? Chris, I didn't even know your last name."

The blonde huffed out a laugh and shook his head at me. "What have you two gotten into?" he asked.

"Nothing that you should concern yourself with," Vincent said, his voice hard and unyielding. I elbowed him in the ribs. His eyes flicked to me. He took one look at my face and rolled them. "Yet."

"I can understand that." Chris pulled out his wallet. He selected a crisp white card and handed it to us. I took it, glancing at his name printed in shiny blue letters underneath Kenton & Hutch Law Offices. His number was there too. "I've told Jules this before, but if you both ever get to the point where you need my brand of help, call me. I may be practicing under the corporate head now, but I started my career in criminal court."

I hadn't known that.

Vincent pulled me farther into him, and I noticed Chris track the movement. The way I relaxed into the man at my side. A smile flitted across his face, and he nodded when our eyes met. I returned the gesture, giving him as much of a smile as I could with the pain still wreaking havoc on my system.