Steps goes Smash Hits

Some time had passed now since the band found together; they published their debut album called 'Step One' and literally were about to record and film more songs and videos. This year they even were nominated for an award and would perform at the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party. Pete had planned a lot for his protegees, he already agreed that they'd perform at the Brit Awards in the following year; especially because they were nominated as well in the category of British Breakthrough Act. Pete felt more than proud of his protegees who didn't give up even after their debut single didn't get the success they hoped.

Their following songs slowly brought them success though. After filming in Marbella, they headed straight to Cuba, then to Italy - before filming their most recent videos in London. Sadly, filming One for Sorrow had created tensions in the band as well because of the management deciding that Claire should sing the song, more or less, alone. Pete didn't agree with it fully but even if he was their manager, they also had a record label and team to please... so Claire had been singing the song alone. Faye just shrugged it off, not speaking much that day apart from saying 'We're just your employees so it's your decision' and Lee, level-headed as usual, just nodded. H said he didn't mind either as their management surely knew how to make decisions but Lisa had a furious argument with Claire that ended in doors being slammed shut and swearwords being shouted. During that all, Faye hid under her blanket; crying because of memories of Travis shouting at her came back and washed over her. 

In the end Lisa had apologised, saying she's just scared about getting ignored to what Claire had replied that she wouldn't let the management go that far. Then they apologised to Faye who seemed distraught by the way they had shouted at each other - seeing others shouting at each other still very much triggered her. 

By now they were back in London and ready to perform at the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party; getting along as usual. Pete had allowed them a day off so they could relax before the performance and whilst Lee and H played on their gameboys - against each other - Faye curled up on the couch. Lisa and Claire watched some sort of romance movie and, since she wasn't interested in that, Faye decided to just take a nap. 

Looking over at her slumbering friend, Claire is somewhat worried to see how Faye shifts around uncomfortably, whispering in her sleep and crying silently. Although the event with Travis was a bit over a year ago now, Faye still had nightmares and was anxious. Not around Pete or their management anymore but sometimes she got anxious around strangers, at least around male strangers. All of the sudden, Faye sobs before she wakes up; staring at her friends whilst the tears just ran down her cheeks.

Having seen this behaviour before, H immediately gets up to hug her; rubbing his friend's back and soothing her. "Hey Fluff sh, sh, it was just a nightmare. You're okay, you're more than safe... I know, sh... it was just a really nasty nightmare." he says, carefully rocking her back and forth. "Do you want to tell me what the nightmare was about or do you just want a hug?" 

Faye shook her head, her sobs gladly getting more quiet, as she hugs her knees. "Hug-" she sobs before her voice trails off; the anxiety of her nightmare still present. H hastily hugs his friend, glad when she almost immediately relaxes. He gestures for Lee to get Faye's teddybear, knowing it always had been a good comfort so far.

"Faye" Claire carefully speaks up. "You can talk to us, okay? If you don't want to, you don't have to. But remember that we'd listen if something bothers you and remember that you also can speak to our management. Pete organised these monthly meetings but he also assured us that if something's bothering us, we can speak to him any time."

"Talking doesn't help." Faye sobs. "My own mind is haunting me. I always have flashbacks, to the time Travis hurt me. How he shouted and hit me, how I'm never good enough. I start to believe that too... I don't deserve it to let people be nice to me. It's better if I stay in my own little shell."