chapter one: alana

“Alana!” I hear my dad’s assertive voice boom from downstairs.

“Lani, come on, get up! Today’s the big day!” he calls again, this time with a slightly more supportive edge. I could almost feel bad for him if he wasn’t consciously ripping me away from all I’ve ever known. ‘The Big Day’; those three words have haunted me for weeks as I have ever so slowly packed away my 17 years of life into several cardboard boxes. I can remember the day, 4 months ago, when dad came home, grinning from ear to ear, speaking the words that crushed my heart -

“We’re moving to Australia – I got the job!”

Everything happened so quickly from that moment on. Dad sold the house, quit his old job, removed me from school and packed up what little was left of our lives. I loved that this new opportunity made him so elated, so happy, but every time he so much as brought up Australia, I felt like personally picking up a knife and going all ‘Hannibal Lector’ on him. Since my mum died last year, I’ve watched my dad go from bad to worse, and I know, deep down, he needs this, he needs to get away from all that haunts him. So that’s where we are now, escaping the confines of Haddlesworth, UK; leaving behind all that I hold dear.

“Alana, if I have to call your name one more time, I will come up those stairs and drag you from that bed of yours!” he jokes, but still remains assertive.

“I’m up!” I groan and practically heave myself out of my haven, otherwise known as my bed. The knot in my stomach grows with each step I take towards the bathroom, and by the time I’m in the shower I can virtually feel my old Scout’s leader praise me for my work in knot tying. The water relaxes my muscles and I savour the last few moments I will ever have in my bathroom.

When I finally make my way downstairs, my father is frantically trying to prepare breakfast while shouting at someone in despair down the phone.

“Oh for God’s sake, I said I want a frickin’ agent!” he roars, as he acknowledges my presence. He smiles a warm smile and nudges his head towards the table, telling me to sit.

“Do you know what? I’m over it, stuff you and your godforsaken company!” he stresses as he puts the phone down. I watch as he virtually bashes the breakfast into a bowl and slams it down in front of me.

“Jesus Dad, what did that bowl ever do to you?” I laugh, trying to calm him down.

“I’m sorry Lani, I just want everything to go as planned” he breathes as he tucks into his food. Although I would rather go through the Hunger Games than move to Australia, I smile a small smile and place my hand over his.

“It’s going to be okay dad, we just have to get through today” I lie through my teeth.

No matter what happens this year, I’ve sworn to protect him, and if dropping a few falsehoods here and there makes him feel better, then so be it. I just have to think positively. I am going to be fine, and our lives are going to be better in Australia, right?