chapter five: ashton

I groan as I listen to Calum ‘swoon’ about some new girl he’d met today.

“For fucks sake, shut the hell up! Seriously, I’ve heard so much about this mystery girl I wouldn’t be surprised if I fucking fall in love with her myself” I said, rolling my eyes sarcastically. I watch Calum’s face transform into something between hurt and defensive and can’t help but laugh.

“Ash, you don’t get it. She was just so…so….chill” he smiles, looking like some lovesick puppy. He’d known this girl for what, 5 minutes and was already acting like some mad man. He’d always been the over-emotional one, prone to get attached too quickly, whereas Mikey, Luke and I tend to go with the ‘friends with benefits’ idea.

The bell signals the end of the lesson, and I practically sprint towards the door. My eyes catch Alana’s and I immediately feel guilty for the way I treated her earlier and when I see the expression on her face, I almost go up and apologise. What the hell Ash?, my subconscious shouts, you don’t apologise, to anyone. Instead, I turn in the opposite direction and head towards the platinum blonde head at the end of the corridor.

“Taylor” I whisper as I wrap my arms around her petite waist, immediately connecting my lips to her neck.

“Ash, I’ve missed you,” she whines, spinning round to look at me. Her blue eyes look into mine and I know she’s about to ask the question I desperately want to avoid.

“What happened last night baby? You didn’t pick up any of my calls” she complains, her hands playing with my hair.

Anger pulses through my veins as I am reminded of the events that took place last night. The image of my mother, crying on the floor are embedded into my brain, haunting me all through last night and today. I hated him for touching my mother, I hated my mother for being with him, but above all, I hated myself for not being able to protect them, Harry, Lauren and Mum, from the monster that is destroying our family.

“Ashton?” Taylor calls, waking me from my vengeful state.

“Mm” I answer looking off into the distance.

“The guys want to go eat baby, are you ready?” she asks, pulling me into the direction of the cafeteria.

I had to do something about Dave, and deep down I knew that meant breaking my mum’s heart.