twenty three.

TWENTY THREE

SOO-JIN BIT down on her bottom lip and bowed her head to look in her lap, to hide away the pink blush that was creeping up on her cheeks.

She felt Su-Hyeok playfully nudge her side, causing her to look back up at him and see the cheeky grin that was on his lips. "So?" He raised a brow and she softly nodded, reaching into her trouser pocket and pulling out her name tag, then putting it in his hand.

"Will you be mine, Lee Su-Hyeok?" She asked, making the boy chuckle and nod. "Of course." He leaned down and planted a gentle kiss on her lips.

Soo-Jin immediately kissed him back, but soon pulled away when the soldiers returned. Su-Hyeok stood up and held onto the girls hand to bring her to her feet and watched as they unbuckled themselves from the hooks.

"Master sergeant, you go up first." One of the men said, and he did as he was told. "We'll pull you one at a time." He informed the students. "Stay still even if you're scared. Okay?"

"You're not landing the helicopter?" Ji-Min asked, eyeing the vehicle that was hovering above them. "We can't. It can get unstable. He's gonna pull you up, so don't worry." The soldier explained. "You can't all go at once, so let's go one by one."

"We can't all go?" Cheong-San questioned. "We can take all of you, but it has to be one by one." He reassured.

"Ji-Min, you go first," On-Jo told the girl behind her. "You go first. Go first." Wu-Jin agreed and she walked towards the men who then clipped her to a harness, and then sent her up the wire.

"Cancel operation." The man ordered the men who were getting Hyo-Ryeong ready to go up. "We'll take just the package and pull out!"

"I think I'm going back down!" Ji-Min yelled as she was in fact, coming back down to the roof. "I'm coming down!"

The soldiers un-clipped Hyo-Ryeong and pushed her back over to the group. "Why did you take that off?" She cried.

"What operation is this?!" Wu-Jin exclaimed. "What are you doing? What is this?!"

"Please pull me back up." Ji-Min pleaded as she tried to fight them off, but only got thrown back to the teens. "I wanna get out of here!" She stepped forward, but immediately stopped speaking when the soldier held up his gun.

"Come on, sir." Dae-Su begged, only to have the gun move to him. "W...Wait a second.." Joon-Yeong stuttered out. "What's wrong with you? We're fine. We're not zombies."

"Please take me with you!"

"Stand back!" The man demanded. "Stand back, or we'll shoot. Stand back!" He commanded, waving his gun around like a wand. "Alright team, get in the chopper." He told the men.

"Wait a minute, you can't even take a few of us with you?" Cheong-San asked. All of a sudden, the soldier fired his gun in the air, making them take a step back. "Rescue us.."

The man didn't comply. He walked to the wire and attached himself to it before sighing. "I'm sorry." He said, before gliding up the zip wire, leaving the hopeless teenagers on the roof in the middle of the cold night.

"They abandoned us, didn't they?" Hyo-Ryeong croaked out, watching as the helicopter disappeared into the distance. "No one's coming to save us now?"

"I've never trusted fucking adults." Soo-Jin muttered, rolling her eyes at the thought of them. "Maybe..." Wu-Jin began. "They thought that all of us were already fucking zombies."

"They would have killed us." Joon-Yeong told him bluntly. "They wouldn't have left us here alive if they thought that."

Cheong-San walks over to the fireplace and furiously kicked it, making the fire go out.

"What are you doing?" On-Jo asked, rushing over to him and tried pulling him away. He nudged her off of him and turned to face her. "It's pointless. No one's coming. No one else is coming." He ranted, before going on to kick the SOS sign.

The sound of thunder clapped in the sky, making Nam-Ra fall to the ground, keeping her hands over her ears, groaning in pain.

"You okay?" Soo-Jin asked her best friend. "My ears hurt so bad." She whimpered out. Soo-Jin glanced up at Su-Hyeok, who was stood right beside her.

She didn't know what to do. She didn't know how to stop her best friend from suffering.

"I don't know what to do." Soo-Jin mumbled, and Su-Hyeok thought for a second, before ripping two small pieces of his shirt and rolling them into a balls, then handing them to Soo-Jin. "Put those in her ears to block out the sound." He instructed, and the girl did as told.

The thunder came again, and rain followed after it. It rained heavily, and the sound of Dae-Su yelling about it pouring could just about be heard.

The students cried, and laughed as they stood under the pouring sky. Dae-Su and Wu-Jin were laying on the floor, feeling the cold water splash onto them.

Soo-Jin smiled slightly as she felt the rain fall onto her skin. It felt refreshing, and she could feel it run down her face and into her mouth.

"If we manage to reach the mountain, we can make it all the way to Yangdong." On-Jo nodded, as everyone was now gathered around under a bit of shelter. "I've been hiking there a few times before with my dad."

Cheong-San had come up with the idea of the group going to the mountains, and to get there, they'd have to move every time thunder happens.

"Even still, isn't this suicide?" Wu-Jin sighed, looking over at the girl beside him. "I'm not going. I'm scared." Hyo-Ryeong stated. "What are we gonna do if the zombies catch us?"

"It's not like anyone is going to save us if we stay here. We're the only ones who can save ourselves." Cheong-San explained to the group, and moved to stand in front of them.

"Let's go." The Lee boy preached. "If anything goes wrong, I'll scream and lead the zombies away. That way, none of you will get hurt, okay? So let's do this."

"Don't say that." Su-Hyeok spoke up. "We're all going to make it." He reassured as he stood up from sitting beside Soo-Jin.

"If anyone has to die tonight, it will be me." Cheong-San stated firmly. "Because of the rain, all the scents came to me at once." Nam-Ra told them. "They got mixed up. The rain is really loud, too. I'm sure the zombies' senses are dulled."

"If that's what a half-bie says, it should be reliable." Dae-Su nodded. "What's a half-bie?" Soo-Jin wondered, looking over at the boy. "A half zomb... someone you can rely on." Her nervously answered, glancing down at Nam-Ra and then back over at Soo-Jin. "You guys ready? Nam-Ra is strong. She'll keep up. Let's take her word and go."

"I'm not strong right now."

"Why not?"

"I don't know."

Another chapter should come out again later on today!

Have a great day/night <3