The Boy with the Books

(A/N I saw this headcanon that Adam and Barbara met in high school and I thought it was the cutest thing ever)

Adam's POV

I see her every day right when I leave the school. I've never talked to her, but I know that she's in my science class. She's not popular. She has pretty blonde hair. She likes the colour green. I could list off all these little things about her and I don't even remember her name.

Every day, when the bell rings at 3:00, I stumble through the hallway in an effort to get outside without dropping my textbooks. I've found myself carrying them around with me because my backpack is already far too heavy. I walk through the double doors and into the sun, thankful that we haven't quite gotten that October chill yet.

And then I see her. Standing at the crosswalk, waiting for the light to change, like she always is. I could walk up to her, try to make conversation until the light turns green. Maybe we could walk together. But I'm way too nervous for that. I'm sure I would start sweating the second something comes out of my mouth. So I stay ten feet behind her. Like always.

It's always something I can count on. The blonde girl from my science class who waits on the sidewalk every day. It gives me a sense of familiarity. And even though I never talk to her, it makes me happy just to see her there.

Barbara's POV

Every day at 3:00, I wait at the crosswalk so that I can walk home. I'm lucky to live close enough that I don't have to take the bus or have a parent drop me off. It's just me, outside, waiting for the light to change.

There's this boy I see every time. He has dark, curly hair and glasses, and when he walks out of the school he's always juggling two or three textbooks. He lives close by, too. We have the same route. But we don't walk together. I don't even know his name.

He doesn't walk with anyone, actually. From what I've seen he doesn't have any friends. Kids kind of think he's weird. He's very awkward. Sort of clumsy.

When I see him out there today, he's trying to balance all of his textbooks, an everyday struggle. He must have even more, because his backpack looks like it's on the verge of tipping him over backward. I turn back to look at the traffic light before he can catch my eye, and it's already turned green. But the boy with the textbooks is still in distress, so in spite of the green light I go to help him.

"Do you want me to carry some of those for you?" I ask him. He looks in my direction, his eyes widening. He pulls the books against his chest and stares at me like a startled deer.

"Oh!" he stammers. "Uh, yeah. I mean, if you want. Thank you," he adds.

I smile and hold my arms out, and he places two of the books in them. We walk back to the crosswalk together. "We have the same route home, don't we?" I say as we wait for the light to change back.

He looks at his shoes. "I think so. And, um, I know you from my science class."

"Oh, yeah, we're in science together," I remark, more to myself than him. I decide I should formally introduce myself, so I stick out my hand, shifting his books to the other arm. "I'm Barbara. In case you don't... you know."

"Right! Thanks... Adam." He shakes my hand. "I'm Adam, I mean."

"Hi, Adam."

The light turns, and we start walking. Adam. I repeat his name in my head. He definitely seems like an Adam. I want to keep talking to him, but I don't know what else to say. So I start rambling on about what goes on at school.

"Have you ever noticed there are those kids who are, like, destined to fit in? I mean, everyone they talk to it's like they instantly get along. And then there are those people who want to fit in but don't really talk to anyone." I glance down at the books. "I think those people should get more consideration."

"You mean like me and you?" Adam asks, peering at me. I feel my face flush, because that is what I meant, but I don't know if he's taken offense or what. "Because... I definitely have. Considered you, that is."

"Oh." My face feels even warmer now as I keep my gaze fixed downward. "I've, um, considered you too."

The walk goes on and we talk, about school, about science, whatever. I'm surprised that he doesn't socialize with people, because once he's out of his shell he's actually really nice. He's funny, too. Overall, charming. And I'm glad that, this once, I went up to talk to the boy with the books.

Adam's POV

This is it. I'm actually talking to this girl. And it was as simple as her walking up to me and offering to help me carry my books. Who knew that one of my greatest burdens could aid me in doing what I've wanted to do all year?

"So you've walked home like this every day since September?" Barbara asks, cradling the books in her arms like a baby. "I can't believe nobody even thought to help you."

I make a face. "What can I say? I'm one of those kids. You know. Nobody ever notices."

"Except for me," she reminds me, and I look away so she won't see me smiling.

"Except for you."

We make our way along the sidewalk, and I can tell that we're coming up to my street. "I hope it's not an inconvenience for you," I say quickly. "Having to carry my books? I think I'll start looking for a bigger backpack."

"Or... I could help you carry them again tomorrow." She gives me a gracious smile and her energy is contagious. I feel a rush of electricity like I've just been struck by lightning, but in a good way.

"Or you could— or you could do that," I agree. I'm cursing myself that I keep tripping over my words, but Barbara doesn't seem to notice. She has that grin on her face, the one that would light up a room if we weren't outside.

Finally, we've reached my house. It feels like I've known Barbara for ages now that our walk is over, but it also feels like it's only been a few seconds.

"I guess I should go inside." I hesitate. Should I say goodbye to her? She just nods and sets the books she was carrying in my arms. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

I start down the walk, but then Barbara says, "Adam? One more thing." When I turn around, she jogs over and stands up on her toes to give me a kiss on the cheek. She looks pleased as she starts to walk away. "See you tomorrow!"

I raise a hand to my cheek, stunned. A girl just kissed me. And not any girl. Blonde-crosswalk-science-class girl.

Just like that, I don't feel quite as lonely anymore.