Chapter Three

The next morning Mike walked to school. As he reached Atlantic Avenue, a familiar voice said "Morning mate." Mike turned to see Xander. They kissed and Xander asked

"How was your night?"

"It could have been better."

Xander looked at him and smiled. They walked to school together and Mike couldn't help but to catch quick glances at Xander. He was wearing a plain white shirt with a falcon on the back and short black pants. Xander was fine. "You know, I never would have thought I'd find a boyfriend here. There were plenty of girls who wanted me when I was popular but because I'm gay, I didn't like any of them." Xander sounded a bit sad. "Well regardless whether I were LGBT or not, I wouldn't have treated you the way the rest did." "I know you wouldn't, you're not like many guys at this school." When they arrived at school, they hugged, then Xander turned and walked to Building 4, while Mike walked to Building 5.

During English, the teacher assigned the class to work in groups. Mike was paired with Samantha and Mario. "Are you coming to the next Steve's Club meeting Mike?"

"Yeah, unless something pops up all of a sudden." Mike then got quiet. He noticed some kids looking at him and laughing. Mike tried to ignore them even though it was difficult.

"You okay?" Mario asked.

"Yeah I'm fine, these kids are making me uncomfortable"

Samantha turned in their direction and they all looked away. "Maybe it's nothing."

Mike notices two girls passing notes between each other and giggling. Three guys looking at him and one girl shaking her head. Mike felt as if something was really wrong and something was about to go down.

An hour later, Mike entered 3rd period. He sat in his seat next to Edlie and they began to discuss the assignment. The teacher hadn't arrived yet. Jackson, a tall senior in the class, came over to Mike.

"Hey Mike, where's your new boyfriend huh?"

The whole class turned in their direction. "What?" Mike asked.

"Your new boyfriend, what's his name? Xander Reed?" A few girls started whispering.

"Xander isn't my boyfriend."

"Well if he wasn't why did he hug you this morning? Why did he kiss you on the lips when you guys were walking to school? You two fruitcakes are together."

"Leave me alone." Mike said. "Or what?" Jackson challenged. "Jackson you big bully leave my friend alone." Edlie screamed. "NO!, and why are you protecting his gay behind?" Jackson notices the teacher approaching the classroom and hurries back to his seat. Mike felt hurt. All he wanted at Atlantic was to have friends, a boyfriend and be on track for graduation and now everything is getting bitter. The remainder of class went by snuggly. He got through class, and during lunch he sat alone, too nervous to even be with his friends.

All day students have been making Mike's life hell. He was pushed near the stairs, many homophobic terms were thrown his way, one kid even threatened to kill him. Mike felt as if he became the center of attention. Eventually the end of the day came.

At the end of the day, Mike was walking home. He set his phone to silent to not be distracted. Xander saw him and rushed to catch up to him. Xander was wearing a black tank top. He was really sweaty. Seems like he had PE 7th Period. "What's wrong?" Xander asked.

"Everything is wrong! People keep bullying me because they found out I am dating you. I don't know what I have to do in this world to not get judged." Xander hugged Mike.

"I know how hard it is. People are cruel. Look, I'm sorry if I am the reason you're being bullied." "It's not your fault. Kids are just bullies." "Want to go to the park?" 

Mike thought about it. "Sure!"