Chapter Nine

The next morning was unusually foggy. Mom carefully drove Mike to school and when he got there he saw Anthony and Edlie.

"Hey guys."

"Hey, I honestly don't want to be here." Anthony said annoyingly.

"I know what you mean. It's a pain in the ass being here." Mike said.

"Hey, we all have to go to the courtyard during Lunch. Apparently Aaron has something planned." Edlie explained.

"Weird. They must be planning something big." Mike said.

"Hopefully it isn't something bad." Edlie added.

The three went to class and later that day went to the courtyard. It was 12:25 and everyone was out for lunch. As they reached near the cafeteria, Anthony noticed balloons and a banner. "OMG" Anthony said.

The three looked towards the cafeteria. There stood Aaron, Justin and Xander. Justin grabbed the bullhorn.

"Hey guys. We have something to ask you?" Justin said.

Everyone turned in their direction. Even the officers were interested in listening.

Aaron took the bullhorn. "We've been with y'all for a while and you guys complete us. So we were wondering..."

Aaron and Justin pointed to the banner. Xander removed the covering. Then they walked over to them. The banner read "Prom?" They were each holding a flower, a bear, and a heart.

"Edlie, will you go to prom with me?" Aaron asked.

"Yes!" Edlie exclaimed. Aaron hugs her and Justin goes to Anthony.

"Anthony, will you go to prom with me?"

"Yes!" Anthony screamed. Justin hugs him and Xander goes to Mike.

"Mike, will you go to prom with me?"

"Yes!" Mike shreaked. Xander hugs him and everyone claps their hands.

The three walked around the courtyard. They talked about how they couldn't wait to dance at prom.

At one point Xander took Mike away from the group.

"I'm glad you said yes to go to prom with me." Xander said.

"I mean prom isn't really my thing but if that means I get to be with you, I think it's only right that I attend." Mike said.

"Look, I'm going to make Prom the best night of your high school life. Make it really special for you to enjoy."

"Looking forward to that."

The bell rang and they went to class. For the remainder of the day Mike felt he was in power. Little did he know what would happen when he arrived home.

As he unlocked the front door and walked in, Mom was sitting on the sofa and waiting for him.

"We need to talk." Mom said coldly.

"So after all that happened you're still with that guy. I can't believe you."

"Mom, I like him and he likes me. We've been together for a while and honestly he never hurt me. Although Alex hurt him that afternoon without knowing the full story." Mike replied.

"How can you like him? You're supposed to like girls! Not guys!" Mom said.

Mike began to feel his anger begin to build. "Mom, why does it matter to you who I date? You're not the one that's dating him so who cares?"

"I care because I do not want my son to be known as that gay kid." Mom snapped.

The two had a huge argument and towards the end Mike got up and said "Oh well Mom. I'm not a little kid anymore. I finally found someone who loves me in that way and you can't even be happy for me. Well, I'm not breaking up with him and guess what? I'm going to prom with him in a few weeks!"

Mike got up and went to his room. He locked his bedroom door and fell on his bed. He felt as if he was living a dream that was both sweet and a nightmare.

That night Mike had trouble sleeping. Mike felt as if something was wrong with himself. He heard tapping at his window. He saw a familiar outline. He opened the window to find Xander. Xander got in. "Wait, is your mom home?" He asked. "Yes." Mike replied.

"Maybe I should go then."

"No. I want you to stay because I need someone."

Xander notices Mike's red eyes.

"Come here" Xander said

Xander gives Mike a hug and they stand there for a few seconds.

Soon they began talking about the events from the past few hours and Mike explained how he can't wait for prom so he can have at least one good night.

"I can't wait for prom either. I really want to dance with you, kinda like the concert." Xander exclaimed.

Soon it was 11:27 pm and Mike begged Xander to spend the night, which Xander agreed. They cuddled up together and Mike fell asleep with his head on Xander's chest and Xander's arm around him.