22. Forgotten Shrine

Third POV:

After they pushed the gate open, they were met with another flight of stairs.

"More stairs?!" Imari exclaims, dumbfound.

"Well... if the Emiko clan wants to protect their shrine, they had to make the journey long." Aya rubs the back of her head.

"What should we do, Hideyoshi-sama?" Hanbee asks, looking at his commander.

"What else?" Hideyoshi smiles. "We climb up and the shrine will show itself, eventually." He starts climbing.

"Eventually?" Aya questions, following.

They began climbing the stone steps again, being careful not to fall. As they walk they could see the twinkling stars above them. Then up ahead they could see the clouds slowly turns red. As they got closer they could see the moon. But instead of silver, its bright bloody red. And finally, they made it up the stairs. The first thing they saw was a very old, and abandoned building. There were broken windows and wood panels that seems to be rotting away. Another torii gate was over them, and as Yuzuki looks up, she noticed a sign that had writing, but she could barely read it because it was warped off.

 Another torii gate was over them, and as Yuzuki looks up, she noticed a sign that had writing, but she could barely read it because it was warped off

(The shrine.)

"So this is the shrine?" Hanbee wonders, looking at the abandoned beauty before him.

"Yes! Look here, it's the Emiko clan's symbol!" Imari points to one of the paper lanterns.

Yuzuki walks over to one of the many lanterns and there she saw the familiar flower back at the gate. "He's right. This is the shrine that belongs to the Emiko's." She states.

"Spread out and search." Hideyoshi orders.

They spread out and search the area. Yuzuki and Imari searches the west side, Hideyoshi searches the east while Aya and Hanbee searches the back area of the building. Hanbee looks at the first building they saw which wasn't the shrine itself, but a building that might've been where the Emiko clan used to live in. But it was very old and seems that no one has been here for years.

As Aya continues looking around the vaguely familiar place. She was also thinking some things over in her head. A memory from that war came to mind. 'Ever since that day... I took over 'the duty'.' Aya thought. She wince when the burn was acting up again. 'I just need to hold out just a little longer.'

As she continues to walk around, she heard the sound of a flute. Aya stops walking. "Han-ii, do you hear that?" She asks.

"Hear what?" Hanbee looks down at her in confusion. Is she hearing things again?

"Nevermind." Aya shook her head.

"Aya-chan, if you're hearing something, it might be important." Hanbee pressed. "What are you hearing?" He stood in front of her and grasp her shoulders.