Chapter 16 - A Difficult Phone Call

Whenever I hear your name on the radio or anywhere else, it makes my skin crawl.

I grinned as the Colonel and I walked down the hallway to the hotel Sarah no longer worked at. Those words hurt me not that long ago, but now, they had no sting, mainly because a few other words took their place...

I said okay. Are you happy now?

She agreed to be friends with me, or at least try to be. That was a far cry from her saying what she did and wearing that I HATE ELVIS button. Would she wear that anymore? Would she move out of that apartment she just rented out? I had a feeling that she would stay right there, along with her new dog.

"I love dogs. I wonder what breed she got. Probably a small one since it's an apartment. She looks like a small dog type of person."

"Elvis, you're talking to yourself again," my manager remarked as we came into my suite after the day was through, and it was around nine at night. I took off my suit coat from the set and untucked my shirt. I threw the coat onto the end of the bed.

"Yeah, sorry. I finally made a breakthrough with Sarah. We talked today durin' the lunch hour, and she agreed to be friends with me. She even rented an apartment just down the street from my new place. She was so shocked when she found it out."

"You mean that apartment building that's down the street from the house? The six-story yellow one?"

"That's the one." I sat down on the bed, but fell back onto the springs, my heart light. "She said she wants to move out of it now that she knows I'll be livin' down the street, but I don't think she will since she agreed to be friends and all, or will try to be. But that's somethin'. Golly, I'm so happy."

The Colonel stood there in his full tan suit, hands on his hips, and his fedora shadowing his forehead. "I don't like it. If she was wise, she would move out. Your house is not even a block away."

"She's not movin'. She's warmin' up to me." I was pretty darn sure of it.

"And I hope it doesn't get any warmer. Elvis, even if she liked you, she wouldn't be right for you. She's too... mean."

My brows creased, and I propped myself up by my elbows, but I was still leaned back. "She's not mean, Colonel. I mean, she can have a sharp tongue now and then, but she has a good heart. I met both of her parents, as well as her best friend, and they all are good folk. She is deep down inside, too, since she thinks the world of 'em and did all that she has done regardin' show business because she wants to please 'em. Her pop even said she has a big heart for those she cares about, and that's somethin' I noticed. I just hope her heart opens up to me one day."

"You talked with her father?"

"Durin' lunch today. Swell guy."

"I still don't like all this."

"You don't like a lot of things, Colonel. Just be thankful that Sarah's not throwin' herself at me like all the other girls do." I paused. "I wish she did, though."

"Well, I don't. And speaking of girls, you need to let Barbara know about this. She's a nice girl—she deserves to know you're basically two-timing her."

"Two-timin' means actually goin' and kissin' another girl." He rose his brows. "Okay, okay, I almost did that, but she didn't let me. Maybe that's a good thing."

"Indeed, it is. I say you call her up tonight. I'll leave so you can do that. Goodnight, Elvis."

"Goodnight."

He left the room, and I remained in the position I was in for a moment. He was right—it was only fair.

I sat up and scooted next to the telephone which was on the bedside table. I picked up the black handle and put the number in the rotary number for Memphis. "This ain't gonna be pretty, but it has to be done. Woo-wee."