Bonus Story

In the past year, I've discovered supernatural creatures are in fact, real. I'd faced a creature in the woods trapping people inside a time loop and a monstrous thing created by rumors on Halloween. Both times I ran into the king of these monsters in the form of a small boy. He appeared so frail I couldn't help myself but want to protect him even if he was far more powerful than anything living in the darkness. And by chance, I met him again.

I was out grocery shopping and just walking out of the store when I heard a noise from behind me. I just passed by a box where people can leave donations for the local food bank. I placed some cans and carried on. When a noise came from the box, I turned I saw a head of white hair poking out. It was as if I was the only one who noticed the boy climbing from the box as the cans shifted from being disturbed. His large sweater was covered in dirt and dust. His white hair was stained a little from the dirt and his pants were ripped along the ankles. I stood a bit shocked over what I was seeing. My head turned trying to see if I was really the only one who noticed him appear from such a strange place. Elly, the Silver King just came out of the most random of places. He didn't see me yet. He held a golden object inside his hand and put it away before I could figure out what it was.

When he turned, he finally saw me staring and froze. It was as if he expected people to not be able to see him. Due to his powers, that may be the case. It was an awkward pause between us as we both tried to figure out where to start.

"Did... you just finish a job?" I asked not knowing what else to say.

He nodded. I didn't know what his world was like. He might have just come from a gateway to a different part of the planet for all I knew. It was strange but I really should expect strange things to happen around him.

"I... Was not expecting to see you here." He said finally.

The small king was filthy and looked like a street child because of his torn clothing and lack of shoes. I just couldn't let him leave like this.

"Do you want to come over to my place for dinner?" I asked raising my shopping to show him I just bought too much food for one person.

I saw gears moving behind his eyes trying to figure out if he was able to do so. Being what he was, his time was limited. Finally, he decided he did want a good meal and nodded. I shifted my bags around to let him take my hand. He was a powerful creature, but his child like nature shone through at times. He gladly took my hand as I led him to my place. It wasn't far and he spoke a little about his job giving me very vague details. He was assuring me he was safe not matter what happened. But I still couldn't shake the feeling of wanting to take care of him.

My place wasn't far so I didn't bother driving to the store. I regretted it because of Elly's bare feet. If he would let me, I would have carried him the entire way.

Once inside he paused in the front hallway looking around. I didn't think he was in a normal house just visiting very often. More than anything I wished he had a place like this to return too after his jobs was done. I doubted that and wondered where he lived. Did he sleep somewhere or was he always on the street?

"Take you clothes off and I'll-" I started but paused in horror over my poor choice of words.

Elly tensed, looking as me as if I was a wild animal. I frantically needed to fix this misunderstanding. I said what I wanted in the wrong order and didn't blame him for getting defensive., I was an older man taking a child home after all. I wanted him to be careful when it came to that sort of thing.

"Oh my god, I meant, I'll wash your clothing for you. I should have said that first. You can borrow some of my stuff. You can leave if you think I'm sketchy." Now that I thought of it, Elly could have taken care of himself if I was taking him here for other reasons. It still made me feel horrible if I made him uncomfortable.