Rotting Dreams

Wormwood was soon given some cooked potatoes which made them think of their potato friends, covered in so much blight they could have been made of it, it made Wormwood shiver with a mix of disgust and fear. They ate quickly, hoping it would make them stop thinking about their friend, when it didn't they tried to push the thought out, at least until they could get away. They tried to think about anything other than the blight. It was spring. Spring meant they were blooming, when they were blooming it was not super uncommon to see them wolf their food down like that. Wormwood liked blooming, it made them pretty, they got very fast, and provided them with lots of buzzer friends, but it made them very hungry. Like twice the hungry. Wormwood did not like the feeling of hungry but he could not deny that food tasted so good when hungry.

Wormwood went to his tent as soon as he finished, "Blooming is tiring!" They told themself, totally not because they wanted to be alone with their anxiety. Because they knew that if they showed how nervous they were to the others then they would over react, become paranoid. Paranoia meant making mistakes. Mistakes meant that the problem would worsen and then they would get even more paranoid! This would be a cycle until they all die! And Wormwood did not want any friends to die!

The plant tried to shoo away the bad thoughts. Keyword tried. He ended up passing out due to their exhaustion, but not without a cost

Did you know that a sentient plant can dream. With the ability to dream came the ability to have nightmares. And nightmares Wormwood had. Fun.

Wormwood dreamed of rot, and lots of it. Eating away at everything. The base, their friends. All of them were rotting, and the screams, oh the screams. They should have been used to them yet here he was hearing everything around them in their chaotic noise. It was all a blur, but yet so clear.

Wormwood was glad it was all a dream.

Or was it?