Chapter 8

With 1 minute left on the clock and a 2 point difference, Noah could feel the pressure on his every move. He could barely hear the shouts of support coming from his peers, specifically the criticisms coming from his best friend.

'NO NO NO, OBA PASS TO NOAH, CALEB ASSIST WE NEED THIS 3 POINTER TO BE MADE!'. She shouted from the sidelines, her box braids tied in a low ponytail and her sleeves rolled up. Noah rolled his eyes at her comments. 

She doesn't even know how to play. 

Oba dribbled past two defenders and bounce past the ball into Caleb's arms. With a defender in front of him, there was no way he could make the final shot. Noah was free, well the freest player on the court, he passed the ball without hesitation into the point guard's embrace.

'Make the shot Hunter!'

Noah jolted, with 3 seconds left this was it. There was no time to look for other options, it was now or never. His mind became erratic searching for the best angle to get the shot in from the three-pointer line.

'NOAH!' He halted, hearing his name was like a call from an angel, he knew who it was, he didn't need to turn. 'MAKE THE DAMN SHOT!'

Caleb. He trusted him. He knew he could make the shot. Noah took a deep breath and launched the ball. Up it went, curving about halfway between him and the net. Round and round the rim it went: one, two, three times and-

*BEEEEEEEEP*

Silence. Noah looked up at the scoreboard.

54-55.

The crowd erupted with joy. Screams, tears and hugs flowed around the team. 'Noah! Noah! Noah!' They all chanted while Noah was hauled up by Oba and taken across the court.

'We won?' He asked, still in disbelief, Oba gently set him down.

'We won Hunter!!' Caleb exclaimed, shaking him furiously. 'You. Did. It.' Each word was accentuated with a shake. 'I knew you could!'

'Thanks, you really believed in me.'

'Of course, you're the person I trust the most.' Noah looked up and proud bronze eyes shone back at him. 'Seriously Noah, I don't know what I'd do without you.' He could only stare at the freckled boy, while the cheers and screams surrounded the both of them.

'COME ON GUYS! IT'S AFTERPARTY TIME!' Oba shouted, leading everyone away from the Sports Hall.