3 • Far From Perfect and Somewhat Illegal

"Dr. Way! I have some machine parts for you, i just received them from..." Leo Bogohardt, Dr. Gerard's apprentice rushed, uninvited, into Dr. Gerard's laboratory assembling his big, crooked glasses atop his nose not looking up from his dusty box filled with wires and tools. But it wasn't a laboratory, more like abandoned warehouse, only looking up to find Dr. Gerard atop a ladder connecting wires. "Dr. What are you doing up there?" 

***

(PLAY VIDEO)

A long while ago, the silence in the warehouse, only disturbed by the often creaking of the ageing wooden walls and floors, began to mess with Dr. Gerard's sanity. Dr. Gerard would often feel lonely at times, so there and then he decided on it. He would make a friend, or at least find an assistant of some sort to fill the void and help him get more work done.

Leo Bogohardt was put into the local orphanage in Belleville, New Jersey at the age of three when both his parents died. Mom- overdosed on whatever you call dropping some LSD into you're Marijuana before you smoke it (nothing Gerard had never done) and dad- Hung himself (something Gerard obviously never did, but considered on a high).

As he grew up, the other boys teased him. They mocked his collection of algebra and chemistry books propped up on the shelf in his dorm. They mocked his scientific theories jotted down on various crumpled up pieces of papers.

You see, Belleville was where Gerard happened to live. And Gerard also happened to be buying drugs from an orphan who lived in the same dorm as nine year old Leo Bogohardt.

The orphan's were allowed visitors at specific hours, and Leo's roommate asked Gerard to wait in his room as he went to get his stash of heroin.

As Gerard sat on the stranger's bed, he took notice of a couple sheets of paper lying on the opposite bed. He picked them up and ran his index along the words and well drawn diagrams. As he folded the paper in half, in attempt to steal it, a little voice yelped, "Hands off my ideas creep!"

"Your ideas?" Gerard snorted

"Indeed they are, now hand them over asshole!"

"Hasn't anyone taught you some manners kid?"

"Says the man buying drugs from an orphaned teen!"

"Touché my friend. Now, tell me how you got your hands on formulas such as these?"

"I came up with them based on recent hypotheses and formulas I read. I swear it. "

Gerard stared long and hard at the skinny boy standing in the doorway across the room.

"How about we make an arrangement? Hmm?"

"Of what sorts?"

"You talk way too grown up for your age huh?
I 'll help you prove your theories, that is, if you come work for me in my laboratory.
Whadaya say kid?"

"Do I get paid?"

"Minimal. But when your hypotheses become scientific laws. Money will be the least of your problems!

Deal?" Dr. Gerard extended his hand to the little boy.

Leo strut across the room and stood in front of the wide eyed doctor. He grabbed a hold of Gerard's hand and shook it swiftly.