074 | turn of the shoe

The night of Wilden's funeral the girls gathered inside The Brew

The night of Wilden's funeral the girls gathered inside The Brew. "When was the last time your mom called you from New York?" Aria asked Hanna who still was panicking over her mother's phone being in Wilden's coffin - which was understandable.

"I don't know," Hanna sighed. "The day before yesterday. I haven't really been keeping track."

"Have you checked your phone?" Emily wondered.

"She called me from the hotel room, Emily," Hanna snapped. "She has no cell! Who was that freaky woman at the funeral?"

"Which freaky woman?" Aria snorted. "There was a couple, Han."

"The one in black," Hanna said.

"It was a funeral - everyone was wearing black," Isabella deadpanned. "But I'm pretty sure Hanna is referring to the one with that looked like a widow from Victorian England."

"Speaking of freaks," Emily said, "where is Melissa."

"Smooth," Isabella snorted into her cup of coffee.

But instead of answering Spencer just continued to play with their food. "Spencer?" Emily said questioningly.

"What?" Spencer asked, not having listened to their conversation.

"Where has your sister been?" Emily repeated her question.

"D.C. She is interviewing for an internship," Spencer told them.

"With who? Satan?" Hanna asked.

"Wait a second," Aria said, "You think that Melissa was the woman in black."

"Do you?" Emily retorted.

"I didn't really get a good look at her," Aria told them. "I was trying not to wet myself when that new cop made a beeline over for us."

"Am I the only who thought he looked a bit like Tom Cruise?" Isabella asked out of nowhere, earning strange glances from her friends. "Okay, so I'm the only one."

"Yeah, like I said," Aria stated, "I was trying not to wet myself so I didn't really stop to think about who he looked like."

Isabella rolled her eyes, "Considering that all four of you stood like statues when he approached us, I would have thought you had all the time to look at him."

"You didn't have to be so rude to him," Aria told her. "We don't need another detective that hates us."

"That's how I speak with almost everyone that I don't feel the immediate need to be respectful towards," Isabella shrugged. "And he didn't look offended. Plus, you can't get thrown into jail for be sarcastic to a cop. You have to actually do something criminal - and we haven't. So calm down."

"Except for throw Wilden's car in the lake," Aria deadpanned, "and leave fingerprints all over it when A pulled it out." Aria then turned to Spencer who had just taken her food, "Spencer, what are you doing with my French fries?"