131 | songs of experience

When Isabella was younger she loved going to school

When Isabella was younger she loved going to school. Mostly because she enjoyed learning but as she grew older and got friends it was an opportunity to spend more time with them. Now school represented nothing good for her. She didn't have to be a seer to predict that she'd have to endure stares and annoying questions from the moment she stepped into the building.

While it helped that she had gotten her best sleep in what felt like an eternity that night, despite having slept on a crampy couch with Jason. But within minutes her mood turned sour when she found out Aria had gone to the police station and testified that she saw Andrew in the dollhouse; she was so certain he was A that she'd give a false statement just to make sure he was locked up.

Normally, Isabella would have protested when Spencer called her and asked for backup when speaking to Alison. However, this morning she simply saw it as an opportunity to postpone going to school. Her dads and grandmother both told her they understood if she wasn't ready to go back yet - now she simply needed to find enough reasons to give herself.

"I told you what my father said," Alison said, looking at her two friends through the reflection of the mirror as she put on her earrings. It was clear that it annoyed her that the two were asking her about Charles again.

"You have to ask him again," Spencer told her firmly, never having been one to take no for an answer. "You have to make him tell you."

"He looked at me and said that there was no such person as Charles DiLaurentis in our family," Alison snapped.

"Ali, your father is lying to you!" Spencer yelled, standing up from where she was seated on the bed.

"What Spencer is trying to say is that A didn't just pick that name out of the air," Isabella stated calmly. While used to being the voice of reason by now, Isabella didn't get to be the one who told others news delicately very often.

"A is for Andrew," Alison said confidently.

"That's not what I said," Isabella argued. "A was originally used by Mona after all."

"Then why put the name Charles DiLaurentis right in front of us?" Spencer argued, ignoring Isabella. "Hidden, but hidden just enough. Why did he want us to find it?"

"Look, if this person is real and my dad knows who it is he'd be down at the police station right now," Alison said surely as she picked up her bag.

"I really wish I was as sure of that as you are," Spencer said, scowling."If you actually are that sure."

"I think you should go now," Alison said, lowering her voice. "Both of you."

"I was so nice," Isabella exclaimed. Collecting herself to not become as hotheaded as the other two, she then calmly added, "Ali, I'm going to talk to Jason-"

"No. Leave him out of it. He's messed up enough because of all this," Alison told her. "You disappearing hit him hard."

"I don't want to keep secrets from him. It's never done me or him any good," Isabella said. "He is already a part of this and has a right to know and maybe get un-messed."