10. Wanted: Exorcist

Rain watched as Winston began carefully carving out the wall in her den.  She buried the rising nerves that threatened to show.  She didn't want to feel any weaker then she already had been.  Loosing her control twice already, she was on edge and didn't want the two beasts to see just how much her situation bothered her.

     Rain wasn't sure if a crystal could really do this to her.  She wanted to blame her father's Legacy for her violent tendencies.  If she was wrong, she would need to reevaluate herself. Regardless of her wishes, they should at least find one answer today.

     Slowly, Winston continued to excavate that piece of wall.  His alertness increased several fold when he spotted a glimmer of light reflecting from inside.  He had done what he could to expose the crystal without touching it.  He was truly surprised by the sheer size of it.  The single crystal almost as large as Rain's head.  He had never seen such a large crystal of any kind, before today.

     Rain observed the exposed crystal, suppressing the shudder that traveled down her spine.  For almost two years, she lived with that thing right below her nest and she had no idea.  Even if Winston could remove the crystal without destroying her den, she did not want to stay here anymore.

     Winston eyed the crystal before choosing to remove it.  He could destroy it where it was, but he would bring down the den on top of him.  Although it wouldn't harm him much, it would be difficult to confirm the crystals destruction.

     Winston, took the large black crystal into his paw and was going to bring it outside to destroy. He froze suddenly, as the memories contained within started flowing into him.  He could not help the snarl after witnessing the scenes that played out in his mind.  The unadulterated rage of the crystal's maker clouded his mind.  He was forced to experience the memories contained within.

     Both Rain and Third's attention focused on the tiger, surprised by his sudden change in demeanor.  Winston's eyes began clearing and he tossed the crystal out of the den.  He tried to shake off the emotions that did not belong to him and proceeded to shift.  He needed to speak to the two siblings before about what just happened.

     After tying a fur around his waist, Winston tried to organize his thoughts.  He decided to tell them what he saw, but spare some of the details.  "That black crystal contains the memories of a female.  The emotions and memories it had recorded were strong," recounted Winston.

     Rain surpassed the urge to go and smash the thing herself.  She was angry that such a thing could alter her thoughts and feelings.  It scared her that she may have never found the source of her change, without the help of the two beasts beside her.  Rain had believed that her strength would be enough to protect herself, yet she here she was, unable to defend herself from a stationary crystal.

     Unaware of the inner turmoil Rain was experiencing, Winston continued, "The female was like your mother."  Third and Rain flinched at the sudden mention of their mother and Third let a growl slip.  "The female was very fertile and was forced to reproduce repeatedly.  She held very strong negative emotions.  Rain, you have been in close proximity to the crystal for a long time. It is most likely the cause of your problem," breathed Winston.  He hadn't spoken that many words at once, in a long while.

     Rain had accepted that truth the moment Winston dug out the crystal.  She had not even touched it, but looking at it made her skin crawl.  "It's better that you do not touch it again.  Can it be destroyed without making direct contact?" Questioned Rain.

     Winston felt a sense of warmth.  He could tell Rain cared enough to not ask either male to take the risk of touching the black crystal.  Truthfully, he did not want to come into contact with such poisonous emotions again.

     Mumbling quietly to himself, Third came up with some rather ridiculous ideas.  "Maybe I can wrap my foot in fir and kick it really hard.  Or I could tie vines to it and drag it in front of some colossus.  No, no.  They might not step on it.  Maybe I can tie it up in a tree and hit it with a big stick."

     The two other beasts chose to ignore the leopard and come up with a plan.  Rain tried to come up with a better plan than the rambling leopard.  Although his thoughts were rather...unrealistic, he did have some partially decent ideas.  Rain retrieved the largest fur in her den. "Winston. Can we wrap it in this fur and proceed to crush it?  Or at least transport it elsewhere," supplied Rain.

     Winston assed the fur Rain had brought to him.  It was large enough to fully wrap around the crystal.  The fur would likely be ruined, but he would be sure to replace it later.  Nodding, Winston took the fur and carefully wrapped the large crystal without touching it.  Considering his options, Winston decided to prioritize eliminating the threat sooner then later.  He went back to the remnants of the large stone he had smashed earlier.  After finding a relatively flat spot, he placed the wrapped crystal there.

     Winston shifted into his beast form, raised his paw and brought it down in a single powerful motion.  The crystal inside shattered, the pieces held together by the fur.  Assessing the damage, Winston determined it wasn't enough.  The large white tiger continuously brought down his paw until the crystal was powdered and the fur an ugly mess.  Satisfied this time with the result, Winston removed the fur and spread the powdered crystal over various parts of Rain's territory.

     Rain decided to watch instead of participate.  She had been disappointed by her own lack of ability.  She was so sure of herself, but this is where her pride got her.  Affected by a dead beast's emotions. Controlled by a rock.

     Rain could only feel sour at her lack of experience and ineptitude.  She couldn't bring herself to stop Winston or even do the deed herself.  She was too busy punishing herself.

     Having watched as Winston pummeled the thing to bits, Rain could only feel a bit relieved.  How could she prevent something like this from happening in the future.  Her once shining eyes, dulled by her sullen emotions, watched blankly as Winston spread its ashes around.  'Stay dead this time,' Rain thought.