45. Build That Harem

Fourth update for today, May 20th.

     The salt production was successful so far, but it was too early to call the trip a achievement. They had to make it to the city with their goods in tow first. This was the most dangerous part for the caravan.

     Rain had several conversations with Isabella along the way and got this feeling that she was completely out of place. Her presence was an additional concern, but it wasn't as unpleasant as Rain thought. Isabella was the only female she could interact with besides Snow. Although Rain admonished the other female's weakness several times, Isabella did not get angry at her.

     Rain also noted that she was loosening up around Third at least. Isabella would watch her tongue around everyone else. Like the rest of Isabella's behavior, Rain found it strange. She wondered where in the world the female was raised to have turned out like this.

     Rain was able to interact with Vern several times and even approached the horse male. Vern always reacted positively. The horse male, Cain as she learned, was curious towards her as Brice mentioned. After their first meeting, she understood what Harvey meant by cocky.

     Cain seemed to think highly of himself. To Rain's surprise, she only felt amused by his attitude. Instead of courting him, she challenged him to a fight and he accepted. Rain was eager to test herself against the stronger male and the male seemed happy to oblige. He had seen her fights.

     Neither thought they would lose and Rain left satisfied. His hooves were dangerous, but he didn't fight much with his hands. Rain wasn't foolish enough to assume he couldn't, so she made plans with that in mind.

     Isabella questioned Rain's excitement out loud and Rain responded. "I didn't get a chance to fight him before." Rain had replied with a hint of excitement leaking through her poker face. Isabella simply figured that the females here were as battle happy as the males. No one knew her thoughts enough to correct her misconception.

     Isabella learned a lot from a chatty Third. She was grateful towards him, but he rarely gave her enough time to process the information, before he went off on a totally new topic without warning. The fox male would often help her understand and he eventually introduced himself as Jasper.

     Isabella was shocked when she learned that she was expected to marry multiple men. She couldn't accept that for real and used her ignorance as an excuse to avoid taking any mates. She tried to bring it up to Rain. She didn't think Third would lie about something so out there, but needed some kind of confirmation or rejection.

     "I am looking to increase my family. Harvey is my only mate at the moment," Rain responded to Isabella's inquiries. "Why are you concerned about another family's males?" Rain's eyes narrowed and Isabella squirmed.

     "I was just wondering. Third said I should be able to find m-males, but I didn't see you with many." Isabella hoped she covered herself well, while hiding her surprise. She was getting sick of everything shocking her. "Only Harvey and Brice."

     "Brice is my guardian, not my male." Rain noted the confusion in the female's face and suppressed a yawn. Rain explained the role of a guardian to Isabella.

     "So... they work for free?" Isabella thought that must suck.

     "That is a poor way of putting it... but I guess that is close." Rain didn't view it the same way as Isabella. To the males, they were lucky to have the chance to be a part of a female's family even if the role was that of a guardian.