What Could Have Been (But Never Was)

Summary: What if you confessed to Viktor after the party (Set after Chapter 8)

Thank you to the wonderful @sunofzaun for your beautiful artwork and suggestion for this one-shot ❤️

"You look beautiful tonight, Miláček." Those words rang in your ears over and over again. His soft smile and shining eyes as he looked at you with something akin to adoration wouldn't leave you alone. You were sure you'd mistaken that look, there was no way that he held that much affection for you. Not in a romantic sense, you were just friends, you were fine with that. Or at least that's what you tried to tell yourself.

You had left the party, it had started to get late and there was only so much small talk you could handle before you felt like you were going to explode. You hadn't seen much of Sky that night, and Viktor hadn't left the balcony, much to your dismay. You had tagged along with Jayce and Councilor Medarda, feeling like an awkward third wheel. You'd decided as they continued to drink and got a bit more publicly flirty than you wanted to witness, that it was time for you to take your leave.

Sighing heavily you stepped out of your heels, massaging your sore feet as you sat on the edge of your bed. You were exhausted, but at the same time, you didn't think you'd be able to fall asleep. All you could think about was Viktor, the press of his chest against yours, your arms around his waist, your faces only inches apart. You could still smell that wonderful woodsy cologne, its scent having been permanently imprinted in your brain.

You flopped back on your bed, your legs hanging off the edge. What were you supposed to do with these ever-growing feelings? The way his every word made you yearn for more, distracting you from whatever it was you were doing, no matter the importance of the task. You had crashed into this world, there were so many uncertainties and worries, but the one thing you knew you could count on was Viktor. Even when you were feeling down, he could easily bring a smile to your face. It was as if he knew exactly what you needed to hear, or maybe it was just that you needed to hear him, no matter what it was he had to say.

You groaned, slapping your hands over your face. You didn't know how you were supposed to keep these feelings inside, that had never been your forte. Your other friends could see what you felt for Viktor, did that mean that he saw it too? He'd danced with you, held you close, and called you beautiful. You wondered if there was a chance that maybe he felt the same about you. You hadn't seen those 'moon eyes' Jayce had been referring to and he wasn't the best judge of others. Although Jayce did know Viktor better than most. You didn't let yourself stay on that thought for too long, you didn't want to get your hopes up.

You sat up on your bed, you weren't about to sleep in your dress and ruin it. You were quite fond of how the satin material felt against your skin and you wanted to be able to wear it again, even if it was around your room when you were alone, just for the fun of it. Standing in front of the mirror that was perched on your dresser you reached behind your back for the zipper, pausing when the silver flash of your bracelet caught your eye. You lowered your arm, running your fingers over the groves on the cold metal.