26: Back on Track

Akira pulls out a pie from the oven. The smell fills the kitchen as he takes off the oven-mits.

Boss: I think this was your calling.

Akira: Thanks Boss.

The room suddenly smells worse.

Futaro: I'll be taking that promotion and raise now.

Boss: Um.

Akira: I think you need to wait a bit more. Anyways, I'm done for the day. Have a good day.

Boss: Yeah get home save.

Akira: Thank you.

Akira gives a little bow and puts his coat on. For Christmas, his sister and mother got him a warm trench coat for the winter. That and his glasses were the only things he got.

He walked out as a little flurry came down on him. Little pieces of snow collect on his coat as he walks.

It was the ending of January and so snow was light with soft wind, making his hair blow across his face.

Akira pushes up his glasses and wraps his grey scarf around his neck better. He was minding his own business, till-

Tap Tap

The boy looks to his side to see a girl with glasses smiling at him.

Akira: Oh, hello, do you need something?

Girl: Heh, your joking right?

Akira: Sorry?

Girl: I'M ICHIKA!!!

Akira: ICHIKA!?!? Huh? You wear glasses?

Ichika: Jeez, have you heard of contacts before?

Akira: Right, it's just that you look different with them on.

Ichika: Well-

She skips in front of him with her arms behind her back, leaning forward to him.

Ichika: Do, I look good?

She wore a light brown coat with dark brown buttons. Black pants with brown boots, with earmuffs on.

Akira: S-sure.

Ichika: Hehe, I heard that stutter. You can say what's in your mind you know.

Akira: I got a lot on my mind so if you don't mind yourself, I'll be leavi-

Ichika: Oh come on, where are you running off to? Not like you have somewhere to be.

Akira: And you know that why?

Ichika: You're probably just getting out from work, so why not hang out a bit?

Akira: I still have to stud-

Ichika: I'll buy you a coffee.

Akira: My books aren't going anywhere.

***

Ichika: Here ya go.

Akira: Thank you.

He carefully takes the coffee and takes a drink. They sat at the high chairs along the wall.

Ichika: Did you know Futaro doesn't drink coffee?

Akira: Yeah. I would think he does, but he runs on those 5-hour energy things. I'm actually not sure which one is healthier.

Ichika: I know right. Man, leaving in a small house is different. Although, I've been having a lot of fun with the five of us together like that. We had to share a futon because the others didn't come in on time. That was a MESS let me tell you, you would think a monster came through and beat the thing up. I got a bruise on my leg now cause of it.