1. NANDIPHA

(Alarm: 07:00 o'clock)

I wake up, it was time for work and it was a Monday. I swear work was my ticket to forgetting about the nonchalant life I live back at home. I lived in a 3 room apartment which costs me around 2.5K per Month. it has a bathroom, Living room and obviously Bedroom. it wasn't much, but it was perfect for me.

I wake up and pray. A short prayer always made me feel secured whenever I had a tough day ahead. I knew I was gonna have a tough day because everyday was always too much for me, but with prayer I managed to make it through, with a heavy heart yes, but I had faith that I would get through.

Me: (sighs)

I grab my phone and check my emails. I work at an office in Kempton Park, 20 minutes away from where I live.

Me: 07:15 I need to get ready.

I grab a shower real quick and get dressed. there was a skirt, shirt, blazer and heel policy. On Fridays we could wear takkies/sneakers. On Winter or when it was cold, you could wear pants and closed shoes.

(Alarm) 07:55

I tie my braids, grab my purse and head to the car. My colleague was fetching me. His name was Herbert aged 29, married with no kids. The company I worked for was very strict on time and so to manage consistency on being on time, they offered that 1 colleague who could drive would fetch another colleague or colleagues who could not drive or used a mode of transport which was going to make them get to work late if they were delayed in any way. You had to be at work by 8:30 and start working by 09:00. So Herbert fetched me at 07:55 or earlier (if he was not grumpy)

Herbert: Morning.
Me: (sighs) wuuu, aw'semhle Mr with a suit.
Herbert: yhoo (laughs) If only you knew. It's for the meeting. Angithi we are Meeting Mr Redello today.
Me: mhhh? Must be nice to be one of the bigg boys.
Herbert: (smirks) uyaphapha neh.
Me: (laughs) cha, kodwa I am being real with you angithi.
Herbert: oww shut up and drink your coffee.
Me: (picks it up) thank you. (Slurps) mhhh. Just the way I love it.

I hug him while he starts the car.

Me: you are the best mnge.
Herbert: anytime child.

Herbert has been there for me for 4 years. He was like a big brother to me. Both him and his wife Alicia Ngcobo were like my siblings from different mothers and fathers.

20 minutes later.

Secretary: morning Ms N.
Me: hey Oya. How are you.
Secretary: tired, Mr Redello is in the building and he wants to make some changes to the business.
Me: mhh, I wonder who that is.
Secretary: you will meet him soon. He is Literally the grumpiest man I have ever...

(On the line:)

...: Ms Oya. My office NOW
Me: (whispers) ayeye
Secretary: (Rolls eyes)(presses buzzer) I'll be there in a minute Sir.
...: You better.

she moves away from her desk and heads to the bosses office.

...: and then??

I turn around.

Me: The bigg boyy is calling her.
Herbert: yhoo

He moves away from me, heading to the boardroom.

Herbert: nami ngi' late. Meeting is starting in 2 minutes.
Me: goodluck.
Herbert: (thumbs up)
Me: (sighs)

I head to my desk.

...: yhoo the new boss sure is a pain in the ass.

I look at them.

...: he almost fired Oya for not forwarding e-mails to his first thing in the morning.
Me: (shakes head)(whispers) well that's dumb.

My Name is Nandipha Mabuza, 24 years of age originally from Alexandra Township in Johannesburg but currently lives in Kempton Park. I am the First child to both parents who live in Alexandra...

...: uhmm Guys.

We all look up

Secretary: the boss wants to see each and everyone of us in his office. I will be calling you all one by one in alphabetical order.

...: haibo for ini??
Secretary: I'm not gonna go into detail, but he is sending people notices about finding new jobs due to lack of commitment at work.
...: moss he just got here.
CEO: I know guys, he is not firing anyone. He is just alerting you all that if you are not going to be committed to your work, then you might as well go look for another job because he will not hesitate to fire you.
Everyone: yhooo.
...: khona afika, phela thina siza'striker. (He just got here, we will strike)
...: (deep voice) I would mind amagama wami (my words) before I open my mouth young lady.
...: yhoo.

Everyone goes to their desks. I shift my focus to my laptop.

...: I am not playing with anyone. This is officially my business which means that new workload, new environment, new team. If you don't wanna co-operate. Then fuck off. The door is open. GOT IT.
everyone: yes sir.
...: and the lady who was talking too much, in my off (raises voice) NOW !!!!! you have officially earned yourself a written warning.
1 more and you are fired.

I was so shocked. Bathong this guy

...: (clicks tongue)

I raise my head after I starred at the lockscreen of my laptop for 5 minutes.

Me: yhoo my happy place is officially becoming the worst place to be. Oww yini bawo.