Chapter Seven: Intruder

Zach's POV:

Zoey was more than what I had imagined she would be.

Was I moving into an apartment so I could have the chance to meet Zoey crazy? Yes, it was.

Did I care? Not one bit.

The only time I had felt bad and wondered if I should stop was when her phone started ringing in front of me, and I watched as she blocked the number calling her.

I had always been removed from that type of thing. My parents had paid people to ensure that I did not have to worry about the endless calls and the fan letters that started when I was a young boy. People were crazy.Zoey did not deserve any of that. I had wanted to take her phone out of her hand and throw it against the wall, but I knew it was not my place. I also knew that, most likely, she would slap me across the face. I refrained.

However, it did not mean that I did not put bodyguards on Zoey. She had no clue they were there. This was another thing I believe she would not be ok with. And yet I did it anyway.

I had been alerted of a possible threat coming up to Zoey's apartment. Brent, the lead on my security team, had called me. My hands shook slightly as I had answered the call.

"There is a date in the building for Miss Michaels."

"Ok," I cut him off. "I do not need to be made aware of every move she makes." I was on edge; why was she dating anyone other than me. She had to know I was interested in her.

Had I not made it clear enough?

"Sir," it was all in that one word that I knew something was wrong. "We would not have intervened; however, when he saw us at the front door, he took off running. We chased the suspect and found questionable items in his backpack." My throat had gone dried.

Jeremy Funkhouser was the name on his I.D.

What an unfortunate last name.

Brent had detained him and had alerted the police. The paparazzi would likely spin this as a lovers' feud between Zoey and myself if the police arrived here. Brent had declared he would bring Jeremy to the closest precinct. This was only after I had promised him that Zoey and myself would be staying in for the evening.

But I knew there was no way I could "promise" anything when it came to Zoey, as she made up her own mind.