Chapter Forty-Three: In-Laws

Zach's POV:

Everything was going fantastic.

That was until my parents arrived unannounced.

The first statement out of my mother's mouth was, "I hope your prenup is solid." This was as her eyes held Zoeys. There was something in Zoey's eyes that flashed sadness, and it broke something inside of me.

Zoey got up to excuse herself, but I reached out to grab her hand. We were a team, and she needed to hear this.

"Actually, mother." My voice is cold. "Zoey insisted we get one. I insisted that we did not. Because I'm all in."

My mother rolled her eyes and reached into her overly expensive purse.

"I figured she had bewitched you into thinking it was her idea. So I had Henry," our family attorney, "draft a prenup she can sign today."

"Leave." My voice boomed. My voice took my mother and Zoey by surprise.

Zoey put her hand on my chest. "Zach," her voice was calm. "Our marriage is not worth losing your mother."

"Zoe, you are my everything. If my mother insists on mocking our marriage by producing this half-cocked eye prenup, then fuck her. I love you and only care about your feelings."

My eyes swept to my mother, who was standing there with her hand half in her purse.

"Mother, you can revisit us when your views on this marriage have changed. Until then, you can leave."

My father was left standing watching us as she walked out to the hallway. I knew that most likely, this was the end of my relationship with my mother as she was one of the most stubborn human beings I had ever known.

"Father," I said, my voice guarded.

He had a bottle of champagne in his hand. "I told her to not go into this too strong" he was shaking his head. He lifted the bottle and walked it over to us. He handed it to Zoey "congratulations to you too."

"Thank you," Zoey said, a little bit of spark back into her eyes.

He leaned in and hugged Zoey; he whispered something that sounded like "keep him grounded."

My father hugged me and said, "I'm proud of you. I'll be back another time for dinner. For now, I have to get the old maid back to California."

After the door clicked closed, I turned to Zoey and began to speak, but before I could, she encased me in a hug.

"What was that for?" I asked, pulling back.

"For having my back."

"Always," I said, kissing her cheek.