Chapter Sixty- Eight: Packing

Zach's POV:

Two days was all I had with Zoey.

The awards ceremony took up to much time when I got back, but it was the only reason I had a brief stop in the tour schedule to be able to see her.

"It is the funniest thing; I went my whole life without you, Zoey, and now that I have you, I can barely function when you are not around."

"Don't worry," she says. "When you return from tour, you'll get tired of me."

I stop packing my carry-on bag and look at her.

"Do you really believe that?"

She lays her book face down on her lap. She shrugs, and I wait for her to explain. "I said it as a joke, but honestly, there are times I worry that when you get to come home, the shiny parts of me will wear off, and then I'll just be like an old toy to you."

I thought she understood my love for her, but now I knew she couldn't.

"Zoe, if you could feel what I feel for you."

She cuts me off. "I feel it, Zach, I do." She smiles at me. "These are the strongest emotions I have ever had. I think that's why I think like that. What is the worse thing that could happen to me?" 

She pauses, looks down at her book in her lap, and then looks back up at me. "It's losing you." She says.

There is a haunting look in her eyes, and I can tell she has thought about this before.

"I'm never going to stop loving you, Zoey, ever." She nods and straightens.

"I believe that. But..." She breaks her words off and then starts back up, looking me in the eyes. 

"If I was ever to lose you like I did my parents, there's no coming back from that for me. Your it, Zach."

I walked the three short steps from the bed to the couch in her room; I dropped to my knees in 

front of her; she did understand my love.

"I would be ruined if anything happened to you, Zoey."

She nods, and I wipe a stray tear that dropped from her face.

She wraps her arms around my neck, and I hold her as her body shakes from crying. She sits back and wipes the remaining tears after a couple of minutes.

"I'm sorry" she shakes her head back and forth. "I'm just being emotional. I get so paranoid when you are traveling."

I kiss her forehead. "Likewise. I have more security guards on you than you know, Zoey." Her eyes meet mine, and they go wide. "You do?"

I nod. "You think it's only the two guards following you?" I chuckle, trying to turn this into something not as serious. "You'll never know how many ghost security guards are following you."

She hits the side arm, and a small smile pops up.

"I guess I can relate; I would do anything to bubble wrap you when you're on the tour bus."

I kiss her on the head. "It'll be a quick couple of months."

But I knew I was only saying it to make us feel better. I knew it was going to be slow and painful and that I was going to miss her like crazy.