Chapter 2

The makeshift map in front of him covered the camp grounds, it marked out where the different Illyrian warbands had settled for now, it marked where the survivors from Velaris lived. The healers tent, training rings, kitchen, toilets. It showed him everything he needed to know. And still Nyx knew nothing. Two weeks, and this map was the most progress he had made. He had tried to get word out to their allies, asking for help, asking if they knew anything. But no answer came.

Helion had just given him permission to stay within the camp lands, no further. Kelias and Viviane didn't say anything. Not even Mor could get ahold of them. Tarquin stayed quiet, Thesan too. It was like they all had refused to acknowledge him. And Nyx didn't blame them. Right now the Darkness was contained to the Night Court territory, but Nyx feared what could happen if it started to spread. He tapped a pencil against the map, hoping that it would magically give him some idea of what to do. He could dream.

"Lord Nyx?" Someone called from the door, or rather, the opening in the tent canvas. The use of the title made him uncomfortable, but he allowed it.

"Yes? Come in." He looked up from the map and saw Owen standing there. "Owen, how can I help you?"

"I... I want to thank you. Sadri gave birth this morning and I need to thank you for your help earlier." He bowed his head in respect. "Thank you."

"You are welcome, and all I did was to ask some questions. Evalyn did the work." Nyx walked up to the male. "Head back to Sadri and the little one, I will do what I can to make sure you can come back to your home."

"I will thank you." Owen left the tent, and Nyx shoulders fell forward. He was tired, but this type of news were good. It proved that life was continuing on in the camp. That they found a way to adapt. He turned back to the map. Some of them found a way to adapt. For the Illyrians it was almost like normal, just not in the Illyrian mountains. But for the Velaris citizens... He looked over the list of complaints. Water, food, warmth, toilets... He agreed some things needed to be better, the last point was definitely one of them, and he could agree on the food part. But the rest he saw as unnecessary right now... Maybe after a year. Yeah, then they needed to look at those things.

Nyx sat down again, unsure how to proceed. What are the most important things to do right now?

"Find information, get a hold of the other High Lords, talk to them," He told himself, but after two weeks of trying... At this point he would probably get more luck trying to reach out to Tamlin and Beron than anyone else. "Hell, why not try?" He started to draft the letters. Giving them a brief overview of the situation, asking for a chance to meet and share information, and a request for help, the same type of letter he had sent to the other Courts.

"So I was thinking, at which point in life does Fae start to show signs of ageing? For I think you are developing both wrinkles and a bald spot." Gina said from the entrance, she stood there with her arms crossed and an apple in hand.

"Really funny." His words were monotone as he responded.

"Is it that bad?" Gina sat down, all humour gone from her face.

"Yeah..." He placed the pen down and leaned back in his chair. "It is really bad... I am considering asking Tamlin and Beron for help."

"Noel!" Gina called out in response and sat down. "Talk to us." A flustered Noel enters the tent.

"What is happening?" He asked, hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

"Nyx here is about to do something stupid." Gina said back. Noel just shrugged at that.

"I am running out of options." He tried to defend himself, but the look he got back told him to not even try.

"You are not, first you can, I don't know? Get some Cauldron damned help!" Gina started. "Like, I don't know. Us!"