Chapter 11

《Authors Note: Fic cover is commissioned art that my friend and I requested for a  character that comes into fic in chapter 12. You will meet him next chapter hehehe. 😉💗)

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

Another week had passed on Burial Mounds and Wei Wuxian had managed to purify a small portion of soil enough so that it is fertile and able to grow crops. They survived off the little funds Wei Wuxian had made from his time as 'head disciple' and that Shijie had given to him for his birthday he had saved from before when he was still with the Yunmeng Jiang Sect and had not 'defected'.  Luckily he had kept that money, and saved during those times… otherwise - Wei Wuxian couldn't imagine how much more difficult it would be to provide what he can for the Wen Remnants. 

  Wei Wuxian went and bought seeds and farming tools, making sure to bargain down the price as much as possible. Wei Wuxian had to be frugal with the money he had. 

After all, if he wasn't, it wouldn’t last long. Though it saddened Wei Wuxian to not be able to afford to buy A-Yuan toys when they were out. But he didn't have a choice...

Wei Wuxian needed to think of a plan going forward as to how to sustain them for the few years to come.

Wei Wuxian says few because he knows he doesn’t have long left. Whether it be a siege from the sects or demonic cultivation, one or the other will kill him. Wei Wuxian thinks he has perhaps five years at the most.

"Xian-gege! Xian-gege! Look!" A-Yuan whisper shouted excitedly, tugging on Wei Wuxian's after noticing some toys. 

'Ah, we really can't afford to buy a toy.' Wei Wuxian teases A-Yuan and tries to draw his attention from the toys while looking at what food he should buy to take to Burial Mounds. He sighed. Finding food was one thing. Growing food that they would be able to eat and possibly grow on such an infertile land was another. 

"Alright, A-Yuan, let's go back." He turned to look at his little radish. 

Wei Wuxian's heart jolted in fear. A-Yuan wasn't by his side. He had literally just been right next to him!

He hurriedly left the vendor, forgetting about what he was doing in favor of looking frantically for A-Yuan, calling out his name. 

 He went around, looking every bit like a distressed parent, asking people if they had seen a child with A’ Yuan’s description but all he got in reply was 'no'.  Just as he was about to be at his wit’s end, Wei Wuxian’s attention was drawn by a crowd up ahead, gawking at some scene, and he could hear a child wailing. 

'A-Yuan!' Wei Wuxian hurried forward, heart racing wildly in his chest. 

Wei Wuxian came to a stop when he saw the scene before him, his eyes lighting up. 

He doubled over laughing with his hand to his mouth. 

Lan Wangji stood amidst the crowd, frozen under all the watching eyes. He seemed at a loss of what to do and A-Yuan sat on the ground and had a grip on Lan Wangji's robes, bawling his eyes out. 

Pffft. Taking another look at Lan Wangji's expression,Wei Wuxian burst out laughing again, so hard he bent forward from the laughter nearly falling over. 

He heard one of the passersby speak up from the crowd in reply in assurance to someone else's comment about what was going on, muttering, "he was definitely scolded by his dad." 

Lan Wangji looked up immediately refuting them. 

Children always called out to those they were close to when they were scared, so A-Yuan kept crying out, 'Dad! Dad..!"