Chapter 6

Jotaro was coming back from a long morning walk. It usually caused him to be in better spirits, so it was a habit that he could not break. He had been out very early, wanting to forget about his problems. By problems, he clearly meant his complicated relationship with his daughter. He wanted her to look at him with kinder eyes and less sarcasm. If there was one thing he lacked that held him back from achieving that, it was what he called "emotional intelligence". Ever since he decided to travel to Florida, he had dedicated himself to discovering the part that he was missing. He wouldn't consider himself to have succeeded yet.

He felt calm on the road, filling his lungs with the breeze of an old storm. He decided that he would start on the right foot. Yes, he would begin a better relationship with his daughter.

On the way to his temporary home, he only perceived the wind in his ears until he managed to hear a familiar voice.

"Pss! Mr. Jotaro," someone called him softly. He knew very well who it was, but he would not bother to turn around. He continued on his way.

"Dammit!" Anasui said, seeing him practically run away.

As Jotaro continued, he glimpsed his house. Suddenly, he heard a pair's laughter, causing him to quicken his pace. He walked faster, checking and confirming that it was indeed his daughter and Giorno together. Alone, they stared at one other.

It was an image that he definitely did not like. He remembered a particularly scene from the previous day of those two holding hands. It almost felt like an offense.

"Jolyne, Giorno, what are you doing here?" With much purpose, he deepened his voice, heading towards the blond in particular, whose laughter had stopped when he saw him. The boy didn't look scared, but he must know well how bad it could be for him. "Let's go inside. It's cold and I don't want either of you to get sick."

Without taking her eyes off, Jolyne got up, with Giorno following her.

"Of course, we wouldn't want the old man to get sick," his daughter said to him with a not very pleasant look. Deep inside, he couldn't help but lament about his plans for starting on the "right foot", which had gone to shit.

Mrs. Kujo, who had been listening at the front door, came out of the kitchen. Jolyne and Giorno arrived with a more serious than normal Jotaro.

"What's going on?" she asked the man, who just looked at her.

"Nothing. It's just that the old man is treating us like children," Jolyne replied, seeing that he would not answer her mom. She hated that sort of thing.

Mrs. Kujo knew about the frivolous and even rude attitude of her ex-husband, so she did not mind, though she was confused. A few minutes before, her daughter had been asking about her dad, but now she was witnissing how unkindly Jolyne was referring to him. Although, it was nothing out of the ordinary, really.

"Jolyne, respect your father..."

Jolyne just rolled her eyes, not so much as flinching.

Now that family and guests were both present, Mrs. Kujo no longer cared about the topic. Well, it was as perfect time as any.

"Jotaro, when are you going to tell them about the picnic?" she said, making everyone look at her, especially Jotaro, who was almost expressionless.

"Picnic?" he said with obvious bewilderment.

"Picnic?" Jolyne said with a slight gleam in her eyes.

"Yes! Don't tell me you already forgot." The brunette winked at Jotaro, who in turn managed to finally see her deceitful intentions. Hopelessly resigned, he suppressed a sigh.