Chapter 12

That same day, Jolyne was preparing a quick broth in the kitchen with some chicken for Giorno's stomach. Anyone who saw her would think that she was completely lost in her work, but she was not, or at least not completely.

Her mind wandered back to what had happened a few moments ago. From time to time, she closed her eyes and felt her legs trembling. Why did she feel like this? It was a new feeling, despite not being her first kiss. Anasui had come to steal it from her a couple of years before. However, after she and her dad threatened to put him in a headlock, he never did it again, although the man promised to win her heart, as he once swore.

With Giorno, however, it was different. As soon as she felt his arms around her, her mind went blank, unable to digest anything. She just let herself be carried away by the sudden warmth and the soft touch of the blond's lips that gave off a fresh mint taste. Remembering it, she felt her body tremble and a burning in her face made her blush.

"What am I thinking?" She covered her face in shame.

How much did she like Giorno? Did she like him as a man? She had only known him for a short time, but despite that, she felt that she knew him from somewhere else and that those emerald orbs had already shown her tenderness and perhaps concern before.

"Huh..." Likewise, she wondered why he decided to kiss her. Giorno was several years her senior, and they were of different nationalities, many hours apart, actually, yet within a few days, he dared something few ever got to do, or rather, she allowed.

With some consternation, she removed some of the tangles in her head and stirred the broth with a wooden spoon. It seemed to be almost ready. Meanwhile, she would prepare some water and a cloth for a possible fever.

Giorno remained static, staring into nothingness. He couldn't quite process the last thing Mista had said. Until reality returned to his gaze and he felt his senses change.

"What?" the blond exclaimed, with the phone in his hand, doubting if he had heard correctly. "Are you sure?"

"God dammit, yes!" Mista replied in exasperation from the other end of the line. "Your stupid father is heading straight for Florida, and believe me, he didn't look happy at all."

"And you didn't stop him?!" Giorno said, touching the bridge of his nose. This had to be an awful joke. "You should have stopped him! Do you know what it'll mean to have Dio come here looking for me?"

"What could I do about a six-foot-tall idiot with a shitty temper and arrogance? And Trish isn't someone who could do anything but yell."

'Besides being my girl to protect,' he thought.

Giorno touched his forehead, thinking that this was a nightmare.

"Okay, I get it. And by the way, did he knock or did you hear his hooves in front of the porch?"

"I'm not quite sure, but I think Dio spat on me," he said with distaste, remembering the undesirable entrance of the older blond. "But that said, he had two suitcases with him and from what he said, he intended to live with us for a while."

Giorno blinked a couple of times.

"What are you talking about?"

"What you heard! Your idiot clone intended to stay and live with us."

"Hey! I'll have to remind you that he's still my father."

"I'm sorry, but you have to admit he's a jerk," he said without any qualms. It was not just because Dio had wanted to move into his residence as if he owned everything; Mista knew well all of his friend's history with his father.