Chapter 8

After leaving behind what his ex-wife had wanted, Jotaro walked quickly towards the street, not really knowing what to do, almost spinning as if he had lost his sense of direction. Giorno and Jolyne had gone to the nearest square thanks to the fact that his inopportune ex-wife asked them to go buy food they would need for later. Remembering Anasui, he took out his cell phone; the mentioned number was on the screen. He felt stupid when thinking about what they had talked about that morning. As if it were an invocation, the device began to sound, with that same boy responsible. He waited at least ten seconds, debating whether to answer or not. In the end, he simply did so, only to receive his cries. He had to detach the object from his ear a few centimeters.

"Mr. Jotaro!" Anasui spoke energetically on the phone. "I just saw Jolyne with the blond dwarf! What's his name? Giordano?"

"His name is Giorno," he said, thinking about what a nuisance the pink-haired boy was sometimes. "And you don't have to shout; I know. My ex-wife sent them shopping together."

"But how could she? How reckless of her!" he said indignantly with a hand on his waist as if it were the worst thing in the world. "If she knows me very well, then she knows that I am the best son-in-law. I'm smart, handsome, considerate..." he said, listing with his fingers, feeling betrayed by his supposed mother-in-law.

"You're actually clumsy and pedantic." Jotaro rubbed the bridge of his nose. "Just wait and don't do anything stupid. Understood?"

"But..."

Jotaro hung up, not letting Anasui finish. Although the man didn't show it like the pink-haired boy, he still felt very uncomfortable leaving the pair alone. He wasn't overreacting, was he? He felt anxious, imagining a small, helpless Jolyne with an evil blonde that wanted to steal her. It was a horrible feeling, something that Anasui had never made him feel before even though he was used to his clumsy and inopportune insistence.

About two hours had passed since the pair arrived at the shopping place. Both walked through the gleaming corridors. Florida, being a mostly tourist state, had places that could be considered luxurious, even one of the smallest malls, which was the closest to the Kujo house.

Jolyne looked at the short list, holding a bag with only a few items. Giorno, beside her, carried a couple of larger but seemingly heavier bags. Being a gentleman, he would not let her carry more; she had given in, albeit reluctantly.

Giorno looked around him, noticing that it was the square he once visited with his friends. He barely remembered it; he couldn't tell if it had changed much since the last time, since those were very distant days.

Jolyne stopped squinting at the little piece of paper and sighed a bit wearily, though she was buoyed up by having Giorno helping her. She didn't know why, but from time to time, her attention would involuntarily go to a man in a blue apron with a friendly face giving a big ball of snow covered in sprinkles to a little girl.

Giorno waited for Jolyne to finish checking the list while he appreciated the square, but noticing her delay, his eyes returned to her silhouette. He heard a loud sigh as she remained static, turning to a specific place.

Curious as to what she was looking at, Giorno directed his gaze to where her attention was, finding a marine-themed ice cream and cold drinks stall. He then turned to Jolyne, whose expression was very adorable, like that of a thirsty little girl.

Absorbed, she woke up from her trance, blinking a couple of times. She wanted ice cream, but the funds that her mother had given her were just adequate and she had forgotten her own money. She wasn't usually this forgetful, but the recent stress made her very distracted, causing her to be neglectful of these things.