Chapter 4

Chapter 4

When I got up I noticed that I was no longer in the throne room. I was in a small house in the middle of nowhere.

Suddenly I heard a whisper, which I recognized as my father's voice that said ‘Brace yourself’

I looked outside and saw that it was about early morning with a beautiful sunset on the horizon. I started to tear up and just started to cry.

The world shouldn't be bright and happy. My family is dead and I am all alone. The world should be black and cold because it wouldn't be the same without my friends and family by my side.

I wiped my tears and got up to see what was in my closet. I opened the door and immediately noticed that all of the clothes were gray. Which I recognized as the colors of Abnegation with the information my father blessed me with.

I grabbed a light gray collared shirt with dark gray, almost black, pants. I tried to comb my hair, but gave up because it wouldn't stay down.

I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth then walked out the door.

I followed the direction that I got implanted into my brain and went to the nearest bus, which was full of people in gray shirts and gray slacks. I noticed we were reading to the tallest building in the city, which I figured was the Hub.

I follow the crowd off of the bus and head to the elevator. On the way out of the elevator I was suddenly engulfed in the mass of gray fabric and pushed forward by the crowd trying to get out of the elevator towards the room where I would decide what fraction I want to be in. 

The room I walked in was arranged into concentric circles. On the edges of each one stood sixteen-year-olds of every faction.  We were being arranged into alphabetical order, according to the last names we have. 

We were arranged in five sections, according to what fraction we were supposedly in. 

In the last circle are five metal bowls so large they could hold my entire body, if sat criss-cross applesauce. Each one contained a substance that I was told represents each faction: gray stones were Abnegations, water was Erudites, earth was Amitys, lit coals were Dauntless, and glass was Candors.

I saw many families conversing with each other before they separated, the parents or younger/older siblings sat down while the sixteen year olds stayed standing. 

I noticed one of the people in abnegation started talking, he said, “Welcome to the Choosing Ceremony. Welcome to the day we honor the democratic philosophy of our ancestors, which tells us that every man has the right to choose his own way in this world. Our dependents are now sixteen. They stand on the precipice of adulthood, and it is now up to them to decide what kind of people they will be.” he said, his voice turning solemn.

“Decades ago our ancestors realized that it is not political ideology, religious belief, race, or nationalism that is to blame for a warring world. Rather, they determined that it was the fault of human personality, of humankind’s inclination toward evil, in whatever form that is. They divided into factions that sought to eradicate those qualities they believed responsible for the world’s disarray.”

“Those who blamed aggression formed the faction Amity.” The Amity faction exchanged smiles.“ Those who blamed ignorance became the fraction known as Erudite, those who blamed duplicity created the fraction known as Candor, and those who blamed selfishness made Abnegation. Lastly those who blamed cowardice made the faction Dauntless.”

“Working together, these five factions have lived in peace for many years, each contributing to a different sector of society. Abnegation has fulfilled our need for selfless leaders in government; Candor has provided us with trustworthy and sound leaders in law; Erudite has supplied us with intelligent teachers and researchers; Amity has given us understanding counselors and caretakers; and Dauntless provides us with protection from threats both within and without. But the reach of each faction is not limited to these areas. We give one another far more than can be adequately summarized. In our factions, we find meaning, we find purpose, we find life.”