~ 4 ~

One week

One week. One full week had passed since she almost fell into that hole.

Iseul hadn't been able to come back to the willow tree, too many things happening at the palace. Her mother would insist she stay in and get some rest. While her brother took it upon himself to start tutoring her. The previous tutor had quit, something about not being able to handle it.

It had been a painfully long week for Iseul, but finally she was able to escape to the woods again.

There, under the shade of the willow's branches, sat Jungwon. Lips contorting into a smile when their eyes met.

"So, you can fly," Iseul blurted out. The conversation was awkward, they had been sitting in silence for a few minutes when she couldn't hold herself back anymore and asked him. She didn't know how to approach this, especially since they hadn't seen each other again since it happened.

At his simple nod and shy smile she continued a bit more confidently, "so if I asked you to, could we fly together?"

He chuckled, "that would just be me carrying you."

She shrugged, "so? Could we?"

"Uhm... ask me again later," he laughed.

"I see how it is," she tsked. The tone was playful now, finally they were able to tear down the heavy barrier of ice between them. "Well then, what else can you do?"

"Promise you won't tell anyone?" Jungwon got up from his spot and approached the creek behind the tree. Iseul followed after him.

He kneeled down and placed a hand over the edge, mumbling something to himself. Iseul watched as fish swam in the vicinity, they were small and colorful, just as enchanting as the whole place. Suddenly the calm water started to bubble. Her eyes peered at the way small, echoing waves started to appear under where his hand was placed. The waves growing and expanding through the bank, the small fish swimming towards Jungwon as he stopped mumbling and opened his eyes.

He looked back at her for a second as to make sure she was watching, and with a swift move of his hand a stream of water sprung upwards and across the creek's bank.

She gasped at sight. She couldn't believe what was happening in front of her.

"How- how did you do that?" She asked and he only smiled.

Circling his hands to form an oval shape, another stream of water levitated over their heads now, creating a perfect circle that encased the two together.

Iseul turned on the spot, too amused with what she was seeing to say anything more. She laughed, it was joyful and sweet and Jungwon's heart skipped a beat at the sound; a chuckle escaping him too.

Like this, time flew by, and the two kept meeting almost every day under the willow tree. Each day learning more about each other. Things like how Iseul liked to sleep in and miss tutoring time with her brother, or how Jungwon had a habit of scrunching his nose when he didn't understand something.

The air was growing comfortable between them. Spending hours talking, or just being together, lifted a weight Iseul had been carrying on her shoulders. She was glad to come to the willow tree, she was glad that he always waited for her there, to spend hours of pink skies together in the stillness of the forest.

Time ticked slowly there, sometimes she would almost forget to go back to the palace. Too entranced in the magic of the place, the water, his eyes.

"Have you thought about coming back to the castle?" She asked one day, absentmindedly playing with the grass under her palm.

"I don't belong there anymore."

"Don't you miss the people? I'm sure they'd want to see you again."

"I missed you."

She stopped, quickly feeling heat pool at her cheeks. Her mind blanking for a second before she could fully process his words. If only she had looked, she would've seen his mirroring image.

After a few quiet seconds, she spoke up, "there's a ball. A dancing ball- party- event," she stammered, "you should come. It'll be fun."

"I don't know," he scratched his neck, "it's been so long. Plus, I don't remember how to get there..."

"I'll leave a trace! I'll mark the trees so you can find your way back. Please?"

Jungwon hesitated. The palace wasn't a place he loved. Iseul had always been there, but him, he had felt the freedom of the outside world, a freedom Iseul could only imagine. The constraints of the castle's walls would constantly suffocate Jungwon. Maybe that's why he hadn't been back in five years.

Yet, he couldn't say no. There was something in her hopeful doe eyes that pulled him in.

"Okay, I'll be there."