TWENTY , bright eyes

THERE WAS A MOMENT of silence where both Dylan and Miguel just stared at each other

THERE WAS A MOMENT of silence where both Dylan and Miguel just stared at each other. It was a scene between two friends who didn't quite know how to react at meeting for the first time in years, it seemed. It was a boy who'd been thought dead coming back to visit the girl he missed, after she'd been convinced of his worldly departure.

It was two pairs of eyes, one pair glassy and the other pair only just focusing, looking over each other like they'd been deprived of contact.

It was out of character for the Oakes girl who never seemed to show affection to give anyone a hug. Everyone knew that you didn't go in for one, even if you wanted to. Demetri almost never hugged his best friend, even after how close they'd been for years. It just wasn't something that anyone had ever suspected Dylan Oakes of ever wanting. After all, she'd spent years of isolation when it came to human contact.

So, it was out of character, to say the least, and even Miguel Diaz could tell, when one moment they were both staring at each other in surprise, and the next there was a girl grasping him by the shoulders and burying her face in the crook of his neck.

"This is still a dream, isn't it," was the first thing he could utter from chapped lips. Everything was too bright, and moving his arms felt like picking up lead weights. After how long he'd been in a coma, doing almost anything felt strange. "You're not really here, I'm still fighting that douche, and I'm probably still losing . . . " he trailed off, mostly to himself.

Dylan had no idea what he was mumbling about, but she knew whatever had been going on in his head for however long it had been couldn't have been great. She couldn't say much. Words had escaped her, and she just clutched the boy like he was her lifeline.

Because, in some strange way, he was.

"Jesus Dyl," Miguel rasped, awkwardly patting her on the back. "One would think I just came back from the dead."

"Don't even joke about that, Diaz. It's not even a little bit funny," She grumbled. Miguel had to blink twice at the feeling of her lips moving against his neck when she spoke. He gulped, and had to look up at the ceiling with wide eyes.

Surely he'd forgotten how to react around her. That must've been what his problem was. He had no doubt that when his mother walked in, if and when Hawk walked in, or even Demetri, he wouldn't know how to act around them either.

Dylan pulled back, and Miguel suddenly didn't know what to do with himself when he saw the lingering fear and grief in her eyes that he had a pressing assumption he was the cause of.

"Oh come on, last time I joked with someone was in a never-ending dream land," He complained. Dylan smirked when she heard how much he was struggling to use his voice.

"See any Freddy Kruegers around?" She tilted her head up with a small smile. Miguel watched her hair fall in waves when she moved it. He stared.

"I think I could take him." His face broke out into a grin.