Chapter 8: Extra Skill

It's been a couple of days after you activated the teleport gate in Urbus after defeating the 1st Floor Boss Illfang the Kobold Lord and leaving your sister behind in the care of Kirito and Asuna, since it would be too dangerous for her to be found with you, as practically everyone hated you for being a Beater. But you didn't regret anything that happened there. Not the fact that you were hated now, not the fact that you practically called everyone a weakling and good-for-nothing, not even the fact that Diavel died during the final stage of the battle. He was dumb and selfish, trying to get the Last Attack bonus on his own. you thought as you were laying down on your bed in your new inn on the 2nd Floor. You then heard a pop-up sound, you quickly checked your messages and saw you had one from Argo. It said that she would compensate you for the trouble you went through after the first boss fight by allowing you to ask, just once, any piece of information for free. "How and why do you wear whiskers on your face?" you messaged her. She replied with a place where she wanted to see you.

You were waiting at the place Argo mentioned in her message to you, but you didn't see her. "Hiya, how ya doin' (N/N) (It means nickname)?" said a small figure next to you that wasn't there a moment before. "I'm doing fine, thank you very much. You doing alright, Argo?" you asked. "Yep, but I think it's better if I just show ya how I got me whiskers. So follow me." she said and started walking away and you follow suit. She led you to a side cove in the ravines of the 2nd Floor and you walked in. There you were met by an old man who had a yellow marker above his head, indicating that he was an NPC. You talked to the NPC and asked if he could help you. After a rather lengthy explanation he grabbed some paint and smeared it on your face and stated that it couldn't be removed until you broke a boulder with your bare hands. You looked around and saw a big boulder emerging from the ground. Its surface was gray, but smooth. And seemed to emit some sort of light that gave the cove a dreamy matle, like the cave itself was filled with a very thin layer of smoke. It was big, almost 2 meters in diameter and perfectly round. You walked up to it and looked very closely, but couldn't spot any irregularities. You then cracked your knuckles and went to work.

After 2 long, heavy, tiring days you managed to crack the boulder and thus getting the martial arts skill. And as a slight bonus, your ridiculous whiskers were cleaned off with a wet towel. You were in your way to the meet-up point in Urbus to meet the Rat herself. "I take it that you couldn't brake the rock?" you asked the nimble, short-haired girl. "Nope, couldn't do it, but I mean you're hulking over me and you're practically a rock yourself." she remarked. "I'll take that as a complement." you said, while acting you were hurt by her comment. "Well anyway, thanks for showing me that." you said to the small girl. "You're welcome, but just know that it was just once." the Rat answered. "Yeah yeah." you waved it off, "See you later." "Yo, see ya (N/N)." Argo said and you walked away into the distance.

A/N: Hello dear reader. Sorry if this chapter is very short, but I wanted to put it in anyway as the martial arts skill is going to be used rather often in future chapters, so I wanted to include a chapter on how you got it. As you've probably guessed this interaction was based on a part of the Progressive light novels. I hope you're okay with a shorter chapter than usual. Let me know what you think and as always laterrrrrrr