Part 17

Andrew woke up in the middle of the night. He didn't know what, but something had woken him up. He turned around to get a look at Meredith to make sure she was okay but she wasn't there. Now highly alarmed he jumped up, looking around the room before opening the door and hurrying into the hallway where he spotted her sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall, her blanket around her, the mask of her inhaler on her face but she was fast asleep.

He sighed, bending down, and sitting down in front of her, pushing the off button of the machine and carefully removing the mask. The movement was enough to wake her up and she tiredly opened her eyes, looking up at him.

She was breathing heavily, it sounded almost as she was in pain, fighting for every single breath. He reached for her arm to feel her pulse as she closed her eyes again. Her pulse was a little weak. 'Not again.' He thought as he gently picked her up, cuddling her into his chest before walking over into the hallway.

"No hospital." He heard her whisper into the crock of his neck as he placed her in the car once again. "We have to go to the hospital Mer, you're not okay." He said, kissing her forehead before closing the door and getting into the car himself.

"M-mask." She said, her blanket still around her since she was shivering slightly and it was extremely cold outside. Not answering to her he dialled the number of the ER since he knew that Bailey wouldn't be working tonight.

"Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, Emergency Room, how can I help you?" he heard someone say from the other side of the line. "This is Dr. DeLuca speaking, me and Dr. Grey both have covid and I have to bring her in, she can't breathe very well and she has a bad asthma." He explained, looking over to Meredith every few seconds to make sure she was still conscious.

It wasn't as bad as the last time he had to bring her in. That was at least something. "Okay, we're going to prepare a trauma and patient room for her and I'll have someone wait outside the ER entrance." The nurse replied.

"Could you also page Dr. Pierce?" he asked, receiving a 'yes' from the other side of the line before hanging up. "We're almost there." He said, noticing that Meredith was trying to fumble out a mask out of the glove compartment.

"You don't need to put on a mask Mer." He said but she pulled one out of the package, nevertheless, putting it onto her wrist, ready to put it on as soon as they would arrive. He picked one up himself, realizing that it had no point arguing with her right now.

After a few more minutes they pulled up into the entrance road of the ER. It felt like he had been here at least ten times the passed month and slowly he was losing the patience with all of this. But it wasn't her fault. She couldn't do anything about it. He parked the car, put on his mask, and got out of the car, walking around and opening Meredith's door, seeing that she had put on her mask as well. He knew that she was scared and he couldn't blame her, so he remained silent as he picked her up, her blanket still tightly wrapped around her.

"Hey, is she okay? What happened?" Maggie asked, coming towards them and leading Andrew into the ER. Andrew explained what was going on while placing Meredith on the bed. He noticed that she was looking around, fear visible in her eyes so he quickly grabbed her hand to signal her that he was there as he explained Maggie what had happened.

"Okay, Mer we're going to do a few test and a chest CT, can you take off your mask?" Maggie asked, whom was wearing a full-protective suit, as well as the resident standing next to her. Meredith shook her head, a little embarrassed.

"Mer you have to take it off, it's okay, nothing is going to happen, you're totally safe." He said, stroking her hair as he carefully took off her mask. She didn't stop him, obviously enough comforted by his touch to feel safe.