|2|

Imani sat at the vanity, putting the finished touches on her makeup for the night. She always looked good, but she wanted to make sure she did a little extra since Rico's fine ass was coming through tonight. She didn't expect to see him again this soon but maybe it was a sign.

She wasn't sure but Imani thought that he was cool people. But after all the shit she'd been through, she wasn't too sure if she was ready to hop back into anything anytime soon.

"I love you baby." Imani says grabbing her phone from the table in front of her. "Mama's working right now but I promise tomorrow it's just you and me. Okay?" She says to her son who was FaceTiming her from her mother-N-law's phone.

"Okay." King says. "love you."

"I love you too." Imani says blowing him a kiss through the screen.

She hits the end button and sighs, putting her phone back onto the table. Imani picks up the glass of patron in front of her and downs it before pouring up another one. She couldn't wait until she saved enough to get hell away from Maverick.

Imani had King when she was eighteen and he was three now. She worked while she went to school in order to provide for them both. Things only got harder when her mother kicked her out over basically nothing. After staying with Toya for a while, Imani started dancing at the club so she could provide a better life for the two of them.

As much as she hated to do it, school had to be put on the back burner. So her dreams of becoming a

Working fast food just wasn't cutting it and she'd become fascinated by the amount money Toya was bringing home.

And two years later, here she was. She'd touch more money working at Maverick than she'd ever seen...

Jade, King's father, was there but he was too deep in the streets to actually be bothered with her or their son. Imani wasn't sure why she continued to deal with him and his shit but he was her first everything. And as much as she hated to admit, she still had a lot of love for him. A lot of resentment but love too.

"You okay Mani?" Toya asks plopping down in the chair next to her.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm cool." Imani says running her hair through her freshly done jet, black frontal.

One thing Mani was gon do? She was gon keep her hair done.

"So. How you feel about Rico coming through tonight?"

Imani shrugs. "It's still a regular night T. But I'm definitely gon put on a show for him tonight." She says with a smirk, looking over what she wearing tonight.

It was a simple rhinestone two-piece paired with pasties and a gold pair of bottoms.

Imani looked damn good and she knew it. It was just about time for her to hit the stage and she was trying to get as liquored up as possible before she did so. Two years later and she was always bombarded by her nerves and anxiety before getting onstage.

"You'd think I'd be used to this after all this time..." She thinks to herself.

Tonight was an important night at Maverick. It was a Saturday night, which meant that a lot of people would be there. And more people meant hella money.

Imani knew it was gonna be a good night tonight. There was a lot of money to be made and Rico was gone be there. Knowing that he'd be in the crowd made her kind of nervous but she was happy that he would be there.

She rose from her chair and downs the rest of her liquor before heading for the stage upstairs.
______

Rico makes his way into the packed club along with his right hand Von, his homeboy Rich, and the rest of the crew. They made their way to the section reserved just for them right in front of the stage, maneuvering their way through the packed club. Rico scanned the club, like he did any other place when he decided to go out. Just in case he seen any opps or anybody he wasn't cool with.