|8|

August 5th, 2012 10:30 P.M.

Rico, only 15 years old, sat in the passenger seat of his older brother's brand new BMW, admiring how nice it was. His older brother, Devonte, always had the nicest cars, jewelry, and women.

Rico wanted to be just like him when he grew up. He looked up to his father but looked up to D even more.

D knew that Rico wanted to follow in his footsteps but he couldn't let him do that. Nah Rico was gonna be different. It was bad enough he was in the streets like their father. Rico was way too smart to be doing shit like this.

"Man I can't wait to get me one like this. Ouwee." Rico says turning the radio up.

D was trying to get through to his little brother but as you could see, everything he said usually went out one ear and came out another.

"Man chill." D laughs shutting off the radio. "For real though, you ain't been listening to none I been saying." His big brother says.

"Wassup?"

"Why you always saying you wan be like me?"

Rico leans back in the seat. "Cause you be fresh and you get all the hoes gang." He laughs.

"That's it?" D laughs. "Do you even know what I do?"

Rico nods, tracing his fingers along the leather interior of the car. "Yeah but you got money. I'm tryna get some bread so I can buy whatever I want. Be a baller like you."

"You don't worry about that. Imma always take care of you aight?"

Rico nods before him and D did their handshake.

"Cause what?" D asks.

"Cause I'm my brother's keeper." They say together.

"That's right. And don't forget lil nigga." D asks rubbing Rico's head making his swat his hand away. "Now get yo lil bad ass inna house man. It's getting late."

"Just five mo minutes? Rico asks. "Please."

D sighs and nods before Rico shuts the door close once again before turning the radio up. They began rapping their favorite song together.

In just a matter of a minute, a car pulls up next to his brother's. An arm extends out of the back window before shots began to rang out.

"Get down!" D shouts before attempting to shield Rico as bullets began to pour into the car.

A shower of shells and fear rained over them as whoever dumped into the car they were sitting in. Within five to ten seconds, the car had sped away from theirs and turned the corner.

I guess you could call it a miracle being that he'd only managed to catch one bullet in his leg while D caught the rest.

Rico pushed D's lifeless body off of his and back into the driver's seat. And for a minute, the world seemed like it stopped turning. Like time had came to a standstill.

Just like that, his best friend was gone...
_____

Rico wakes up, sitting up instantly on the bed. He took a long deep breath before throwing the covers off of himself and getting out of the bed completely.

"Fuck man." Rico says to himself while running his hand over his dreads.

More often than usual, Rico had been having these reoccurring dreams about that night ten years ago. The night that changed his whole life.