Chapter Fourteen

It's nightfall again by the time Jack and I make it to the wall without getting caught. 

    "We need to use magic to get over it." I argue, crossing my arms over my chest. 

Jack shakes his head. "You need your magic for other things. Let's just walk around until we find another hole." 

     "That could take days!" I almost shout. "Besides, they probably already covered up the hole we came through." 

      "Well you can't use your magic!" Jack replies. "What if we fall from the sky and you get hurt. I can't carry you all the way to Enover." 

      "I wasn't asking you to." I say, crossing my arms over my chest. 

Jack glares at me before turning to look up at the wall. 

      "I might be able to do that spell again to get us through the wall." He says eventually. 

      "Really, and why can't you just grow wings and fly us over like I suggested." 

Jack turns to glare at me. "I'm not that good at magic, Eria." He growls.

      "I never said you were." I snapped back. 

Jack shook his head, his hair fell into his eyes as he scowled and mumbled something under his breath. 

    He took my hand and started to mumble the words of the enchantment and then pulled me through the wall with him. 

      Jack didn't say anything when we got to the other side of the wall. Instead he just started walking right into the woods. 

     "You're going the wrong way." I told him. 

Jack turned. "What way are we going then?" 

I pointed in the opposite direction. Jack scowled and turned around. 

   I slipped the bow off of my body and held it in my hands with an arrow. In case there was anything lurking in the shadows, I wanted to be ready. 

       "Tell me about your rebel camp." Jack said, breaking the silence. 

     "There's really not much to tell." I say. "Besides, why would I tell you?" 

Jack turns to look at me and frowns. "Come on, chances are I'm going to be staying there with my sister for a few days before heading back to Ehadin. So just tell me right now." 

     I scowl a little bit. "You're not going to be staying in the camp for very long. As soon as you get your sister back, you're going home." 

     "Eria, news travels fast. Especially when you're being tried for treason against the crown..." his voice trails off at the last sentence. 

I frown and look at him. "What do you mean? What did you do?" 

     He doesn't look at me as he walks. "I didn't do anything. It's what my parents did. They've wanted me out of their lives since my seventeenth birthday. And your little band of hooligans gave them that chance when you kidnapped Nicolette." 

    "I don't know what you're talking about. You didn't kidnap her, so why are you being tried for treason?" 

Jack stopped walking and looked at me. His eyes were dark. "There's a lot you don't know about me, Eria." He said. 

     "Why don't you tell me then?" 

He sighs and rubs his forehead softly. "What is there to tell?" 

      "You can explain why you're being tried for treason?" I asked. 

      "I'm not perfect enough for my parents." Jack mumbled.