Chapter 12

PRESENT

Herlina

My headache exacerbates with every math problem I complete. Half-way through, I take a break and go over to my Biology lab homework instead. I hate math, I will never understand how others almost instinctively understand its complexity. Even less how they enjoy it. Turning on my computer, I hear a knock at the door.

"Come in!" I yell as I type in my password revealing my desktop.

"Hey."

With a questioning stare, I glance toward my right to see my mom sitting down on my bed. Her dark brown hair is tied up into a bun. Green eyes looking at the ground with her hands clutched in her lap. I can't remember the last time my mom came into my room to talk. Probably because it was such a long time ago and knowing that hurt my already wounded heart.

"Hi." I open up my lab report and begin typing.

"Can we talk?"

I hesitantly nod as I continue working on the experimental design portion of my report.

"Without distractions?"

I halt and sheepishly turn in my chair to face her. "Sorry," I mumble.

"It's okay, I understand homework is important to you." She offers me a soft smile and I forcefully return it. She takes an audible deep breath. "I've been wanting to tell you this for a while now."

The stew of sausages and vegetables I ate for dinner threatens to rise up. Were my parents separating? I couldn't fathom having to watch as my parents went through a divorce.

"I was thinking that we haven't spent much time together lately, and I want to change that."

I raise my eyebrows in surprise. Out of all the things she could have wanted to talk to me about, that was what I least expected.

She tucks a dark tendril behind her ear. "My schedule is free this weekend. We can do whatever and go wherever you want."

Feeling a rush of so many confusing and conflicting emotions, I vaguely nod. "Okay."

My mom smiles, showing her beautiful teeth I haven't seen so up close in a long time. "Sounds good. You let me know if Saturday or Sunday works for you because I know you work at that bookstore."

My smile lessens at the mention of the job I no longer have. I don't bother correcting my mom because even though I agreed to spend time with her, I still don't feel comfortable sharing personal things yet.

I gulp and refresh my smile. "Yeah, I'll let you know."

——————————

Closing my locker, I gaze around hearing loud conversations and more than usual it seems. I don't want to think too much of it as I watch Presley walking from a distance. I smile, recalling that I was so excited to talk to her about my mom.

"Hey Presley."

She turns around and smiles gently at me which I find unusual from her staple face-engulfing grins.

"Hey Herlina, what's up?" Her voice sounds detached of any emotion. Her eyes aren't as sparkly as they usually were.

My smile fades. "Presley, are you okay?"

She shakes her head and smiles her signature one this time. "Yeah, just stayed up late last night working on that Bio lab report."

"It's not due until next Friday, so don't worry too much."

"Yeah I know."

"Okay. Well, I have some good news." I grin, feeling a bubbly sensation of ecstasy. "My mom and I are going to hang out this weekend."