Chapter 23

PRESENT

Brevin

Fifteen minutes into soccer practice, and Urvan finally arrived. There was a shift in his demeanor that wasn't normally there. I had known the guy long enough to notice it.

I couldn't tell if it was good or bad. The guy was unpredictable, which was dangerous for those on the receiving end.

When the coach had asked him about his late arrival, he gave some excuse that was a pill I couldn't swallow. I narrowed my eyes.

As he approached the field, I waited for him to meet my stare. He didn't. His head wasn't dropped though. The guy had perfect posture cemented into his bones. "Everything good?"

When I finally got a good view of his face, I watched him. Closely. His upper lip curled. "Never been better." His silver eyes underlying with joy.

I flash of blond hair out of my peripheral dragged my eyes to the right. and I watched Presley exit Urvan's car, her hair slightly disheveled. As quickly as my gaze left Urvan, it returned. I gave him a curt nod, presuming he was alluding to Presley.

Walking over to my duffle bag underneath the sideline bench, I searched for my water bottle and took a long sip. Dropping it back into my bag, I heard my phone buzzing inside.

The screen was facing down, so I didn't get a chance to look at the caller. I had been avoiding everyone these last few days, unless I really needed to conversate with them.

I wasn't stopping anytime soon, so I ignored the persistent vibrations coming from my bag and jogged back to the soccer field.

————————————

PRESENT

Herlina

I was beginning to think Presley was skipping volleyball practice. I lounged in the hallway leading to the gym. I still had a little less than a month left of the brace on my foot and then I'd finally be able to play volleyball again.

More of my teammates walked by and ignored me. I sighed, still not catching sight of my best friend. I wanted to talk to Presley about my poor attitude toward her yesterday. She had been ignoring my calls and texts, either intentionally or not, it didn't matter. I just wanted us to be on good terms again.

I had planned on going to her house yesterday to apologize after Milo and I departed. But after cutting Milo out of my life, I went straight home feeling emotionally and physically spent.

Hearing footsteps approaching, I looked up expectantly, but slouched when I noticed it was just Haley. She stared at the ground as she walked, her forehead wrinkled, seeming lost in her thoughts.

"Hi Haley." I waved and she spotted me.

Her steps faltered, and her eyes seemed to brighten ever so slightly. "Herlina, hi."

"How've you been? Have you found your dog yet?"

"Fine." She stopped in front of me but averted her eyes. "I, um, I haven't."

I frowned. "I'm sorry to hear."

Haley nodded and seemed hesitant in saying more. She visibly gulped and then smiled at me. "I texted you, but you didn't answer."

I leaned away from the wall and pulled out my phone. Sure enough, I had two texts from her asking where I was.

"I'm so sorry. I must've had my phone on silent. Did you need something?"

"No. I just wanted to thank you for your kind words in the text you sent me. It was unexpected and I really needed it."

I smiled back at her. "You're welcome."