Chapter 16

PRESENT

Brevin

The gym was moderately filled with friends and family members of the girls on the volleyball team. As soon as we entered the gym, my eyes automatically zoned in on her. It seemed like they always did. Like she was somehow a magnetic force when it came to my eyes.

Her long black hair was pulled back into a pony tail that fell down the length of her back in soft waves. The pale blue shirt she wore was quite tight on her. She turned to the side to talk to her teammate. The white shorts revealed her smooth tan legs, my fingers tingling with a foreign compulsion.

"Let's sit over here." Reth led the way to an open spot on the bleachers.

I sealed my lips, not even remembering when they separated. My mouth felt dry, and I swallowed to take care of my scratchy throat.

Following Reth and Urvan, I sat with them. There were empty spaces all around us which I figured wasn't out of the ordinary for such a small town.

"Is there a concession somewhere?" Reth sat up straighter, his eyes drifting all across the room.

"Doubt it. This is a public school in an unremarkable town." Urvan pulled out a packet of gummy bears from the front pocket of his black hoodie. "This is nothing like Coventry."

Comparing Coventry High and Elk Grove High was laughable. Coventry was like the most expensive meal at a 5 Michelin-Starred restaurant, while Elk Grove was like the gum at the bottom of my shoe.

Coventry held their sport games with greater assets. They had concession stands at both ends of the court indoors and field outdoors, a large imposing score board, narrators on a high booth, and comfortable plush seats with cup holders. It was like that of a movie theater experience.

Reth frowned, and as he turned to look at Urvan chewing his candy, his mouth dropped in shock. "Hey, let me have some."

Urvan evaded Reth's greedy hand. "Should've brought your own."

Reth gave him an annoyed look with a juvenile pout. His eyes flitted around before a a huge grin overtook his face. "No way, what is that?!" He pointed toward a random general area.

Urvan and I raised an eyebrow.

"Don't tell me that has actually worked before." I muttered.

Reth dropped his hand and slouched. "Obviously not on me, but everyone else always falls for that."

"No way, what is that?" Urvan's voice came out exaggerated as he pointed behind Reth.

Like the asinine guy that he was, Reth turned around. Urvan smacked the back of his head eliciting complaints from Reth and laughter from Urvan.

A whistle resounded in the gym and I returned my attention to the game about to commence while the two guys to my left finalized their bickering.

The teams huddled up with their respective coaches. After their pep talks, they chanted their commitment before settling in their places. Coval remained at the back. The referee threw her the ball and then blew the whistle. Her ebony pony tail swaying as she served the ball forth.

I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. Everyone was engrossed in the game. My staring at Coval falling unbeknowst to anyone. So, I let myself take her in. Let myself register the amount of time that has passed us by.

Her body changed, indisputably. But her face, and those eyes. The more I watched, the more evocation they brought me. And as the memories progressed to the end of what we once had, a sense of loss began to spark in my chest.