Chapter 22

PRESENT

Brevin

Pulling up to the bookstore with one thing in mind, I stepped out of my car. Taking fast strides, I was in the store in seconds relieved that it was open on a Sunday.

I sighed, stifling a yawn. I hadn't gotten an ounce of sleep these last few days.

The revelation that Coval cared so much for that Milo guy swarmed my thoughts like wasps. The acrid feeling that didn't seem to wane was like puncturing their venom in my brain.

To think that once I thought she cared that much for me.

It was crushing. Watching her sincerely have fondness for someone while she faked it with me.

"Welcome, can I help you in finding a book?" The voice of a woman who'd sounded like she had wisdom to spare came from behind the counter. She had dark skin, her hair in multiple braids with half of it tied back.

Just the person I wanted to see.

Fabricating a smile, I took leisure, calm steps toward her. "Hi, you must be Mrs. Imani?"

She nodded proudly with a genuine smile as white as snow. "Owner of the store. And you are?"

"Brevin."

Her eyes shined with recognition, her smile faltering as she seemed to remember something. Impossible. This was the first time we were formally meeting. The previous time I had worn a cap, shielding my face from her view.

"I don't believe we've met before." I added.

"No, we haven't." She paused, breaking away from whatever trance she subjected herself to. "But, if you don't mind me asking, do you know a young lady named Herlina?" Her eyes scrutinized my face and she appeared eager to hear my next words.

I pinched my eyebrows close, not expecting the question. "Yes. Actually, that's who I came here to talk to you about."

Her eyes drained of joy, but she held no anger or resentment like I thought she would. A sad frown transformed her lips. "Is this about why I fired her?" Disappointment colored her voice.

"Not at all. It's actually about your nephew Milo. I've been seeing the both of them hanging out recently and I think she's a bad influence for him."

Mrs. Imani sighed, her frown deepening. "Herlina was such a good kid. Showed so much support and trust as soon as she walked through that door. It's disheartening to know she wanted to steal from me." She nodded at me with an honest smile. "Thank you Brevin, I'll talk to my nephew."

"You're welcome." I nodded back. My feet didn't move as a thought loomed above my head. Something didn't make sense. "You asked me if I knew her right after only mentioning my name. I'm just curious, is there a reason specifically?" I added a tilted smile for good measure.

She reciprocated the gesture. But her half smile was reminiscent and real. "Herlina told me about you actually. She'd been working here for half a year and she'd become like a daughter to me." Her eyes filled with light. "She confessed a lot of things in return for advice. One thing I'll never forget is the way she talked about you."

Coval must've talked ill about me, my brain knew it. But this string attached to the organ in my chest pulled, making me want to hear whatever this woman had to say. Like it hadn't gone through so much already, it still wanted to feel pain. Clearing my throat, I treaded carefully making sure not to come off nerved. "She talked about me. How so?"

"Broken."

For a fraction of a second, I believed my ears had stopped functioning. I couldn't have heard her correctly.