quentin grimes- n.t.t.d.w.c

nttdwc-never thought this day would come

excuse mistakes , lowercase intended.

hope you enjoy !

——

voni's pov

i hummed to the tune as the song trailed out and my playlist switched to the next song. i made sure my hair looked perfect , not a hair out of place. i glided my lipgloss applicator across my lips , making sure the shine was not too much but not too little. last thing, i slid on my bracelets, saving my last bangle for last. it had these big really cute charms on it and it was a gift from my best friend quentin.

i went downstairs to make some food, it was around lunch time anyway. i settled on a sandwich, it was basic , easy and good.

when i was done making my sandwich, i slid the pickle jar over to me. i smacked my teeth when i realized it was new and wasn't already open.

i struggled to open it, trying many different hand positions, clothes and wiping my hands a trillion times. i finally got the jar open with a swing of my hand from the sudden force of the top coming off. my wrist hit the wall and i let out a "ouch".

it didn't hurt too bad but all the bracelets i had on made it slightly worse. i looked at my wrist, to make sure it didn't draw any blood or tear skin. it didn't but i gasped seeing the charm on my favorite bracelet had cracked and split right down the middle in a clean, perfect line.

i pouted in disappointment. it's my favorite and i literally didn't  go anywhere without it. it meant a lot to me because it was given to me by quentin and he's always away with basketball. i smacked my teeth and threw my head back trying not to cry. it really wasn't just a bracelet.

"fuck it, i'm bout to super glue this shit back together. he gon be mad if he see i broke his gift." i spoke aloud to myself . 

i took the pieces, looking at the inside of them. my eyebrows furrowed when in one i could see writing on it. it was obviously put there because it was in a font and not writing.

the fact that it was writing and it broke perfectly shows me this was clearly planned. the gift was clearly meant to break, must have been a soft spot.

"if you're reading this, come over -qg"

"he's so annoyinggg."i dragged , at least now i didn't feel nearly as bad for breaking it.

i decided to take him up on his offer, i didn't have anything else to do. i'm surprised i 'broke' it while he's still here and at home; not in some random state or country.

but since he wants to be full of surprises , i can be too. i decided i wasn't going to be telling him i was coming over. he better just hope his place isn't a pig's sty. of course , people coming over unannounced was annoying, but were best friends and that's basically my second home. i mean, it's also pretty annoying to make my gift break.

——

"quen!" i called out , leaving a knock on the door.

i could hear his big ass shuffle down his steps as he made his way to the door."

"voni! what are you doing here?" he opened the door and let me in.

"i can't pay my bestfriend a visit?" i squinted.

"why you really here, lil girl?" he saw straight through me.

i dug into my pocket, grabbing my broken favorite accessory. "why you make my gift break."

he made a surprised face and let out an "oo" and "damn" sound.

"i'm not gonna lie, i didn't think it would break!" he laughed as i playfully hit his chest. "how often do people break bracelets that aren't elastic?!"

"well it said come over. are you gonna give me money for my troubles?" i half joked.

he thought about it for a bout a third of a second before saying, "nah."

"so now what!" i pouted.

"chill, i just never thought this day would come. sit down."

"what are you talking about? it was your idea to make it break , what do you mean you never thought this day would come?" clearly , i was butt hurt over my gift.

"shush. i told myself i was waiting too long and i needed to push myself. when the bracelet broke," he paused for a second, "i was going to tell you how deeply in love with you i truly am."

"why are you playing? you play too much." i laughed but he wasn't laughing.

"i'm not laughing. i'm serious." quen was a joke fiend and laughed at everything and anything. he really was for real.

"what?" it took a moment for it to sink in.

"forget about it , i'm sorry." he swallowed and stood up.

"no!" i grabbed his wrist and made him sit back now, "i promise , it's not bad. at all. it's just a lot to take in right now. i can't believe you would go through all that trouble."

"i've liked you for years , and every single time i backed out. to be honest, i thought i was going to back out this time. when i was getting it made the jeweler told me a story or somebody else who did it but for a different reason. i felt like it was the perfect chance. i don't know what i was going to do if you had a boyfriend, i had already told you, or i was away when it broke. kind of an impulsive buy." i explained.

"quennn." i dragged the end of his name out, "are you serious? no, nevermind. i'm sorry i keep asking the same question i'm just so shocked."

he stood with his heads in his sweat pockets, shrugging and looking uncomfortable. i guess now would be a good time to give him a response other than shock.

"q, i really love you too, i do. i have for a really long time , and i'm glad you told me." i paused.

"that's great!" he smiled. i loved his bright smile. it was always so cute to me. "please tell me there's no but."

i pursed my lips together, squinting my eyes. "buttt, are you sure that's pursuing a relationship would be smart for us. we struggle enough as friends. as badly as i want that, i wouldn't know what to do with myself if i lost you not only as a boyfriend, but as my best friend."

"you're right. i get it." now it was his turn to throw in a 'but', "buttt, how about this? you let me take you on a date, and just for a little while we act as a couple and see how it feels . if it doesn't feel right, we act like nothing ever happened and return to our regularly scheduled program." he joked towards the end.

i thought about it for a second, "how crazy would i be to turn you down?"

"so you're in?"

"i'm in."

——

thanks for reading ! 🤍

hope you enjoyed . this one is more laidback and i didn't rlly know how to end it. excuse mistakes.

vote , comment