𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖

"I was supposed to receive letters from someone, but they were never delivered." Venus pondered aloud. Recalling the accusation Sapnap had made before, sending letters and getting no response - Venus hadn't received any letters.

"Hm? Letters? How do you know?" Kristen asked, tilting her head slightly and pouting in curiosity, her head still lay on her palm.

"The boy said so. Sapnap." Venus reminded her and wracked her brain for a moment. "Yes... how I never responded. What letters?" Venus asked herself and stood up.

"Oh, all letters towards guests are intercepted. The empire can be easily challenged, so whenever visitors come, the letters delivered are given to the emperor to read and clarify they aren't secret escapades or... say... an infiltration plan." Kristen explained and ruffled her feathers, taking the leftover food. "You should sleep, you woke up quite early. But we do land soon... maybe stay awake? You can sleep in the carriage by me." Kristen smiled and left, not waiting for Venus's reply.

Sitting silently on her bed, she continued to stare out of the window, bored. She hated to admit but talking to the man she couldn't have despised more, it was truly entertaining. She was almost embarrassed to even mentally confess to herself. Tides crashed against her window and the boat rocked for just a second before Venus could see land close by. A sanded bay, with a large cliff behind it.

Sand wasn't foreign to the girl, a river which ran through her kingdom and connected to the royal garden held smaller beaches, it was more fun jumping in however and seeing the river cliff on the other side. It was entertaining to be carried away violently by the whipping current, as she recalled, she enjoyed it. How the rocks grazed her and she would just brush it off, how the water pulled at her hair before anything else and almost dragged her by the hair to the calmer lower course. By that point, the river was deep enough to be considered its own road. Her only incentive to leave the water was for air and when she saw the mossy, rotting wooden legs of the port, which wasn't close, but not too far off from the mouth of the river, connecting it to the ocean. Overtime, the girl was able to efficiently catch onto the leg, timing herself every time. That before picking herself out and shaking off extra water. One benefit of being slid off to the side like an eaten chess piece was that Venus could do whatever she wanted as a child, walking back into the palace in all sorts of messes and not fall in trouble.

Unsure of how long she was staring for, and only being distracted by the sudden halt of the ship, Venus stood up and left, leaving to the dock and seeing Phil carry his wife down, both laughing jokingly. The girl wondered how strong Phil's wings must be, as she jumped down herself and landed in the sand. It wasn't warm, but temperate enough for her cloak to come off, which she did, folding it and carrying it humbly as she made her way onto the port, where three boys stood. One with brown hair, brown eyes and wearing a smart shirt, the top few buttons undone as he sighed at the warmth. Another boy, brown hair and blue eyes, was growing small horns and his fringe nearly covered all of his eyes - he wore a green button up shirt and jeans. His sleeves were rolled up to reveal muscular forearms, Venus wondered if it was even possible for a boy as young to be so toned. Muscle mass wasn't produced until after puberty, wasn't it? Then the final boy, he was blond like his father, and had blue eyes like his father. He wore a red waistcoat and bowed to his old man when said man approached them. He was oddly mature. That was of course, until the golden-haired boy pounced on his dad and began punching at his head childishly. Philza, his father, ignored the measly punches and placed the infant on his shoulders, only objecting when the boy was about to throw his striped bucket hat over the pier.

"Hello. I'm Wilbur." The oldest, and tallest boy turned to Venus, outstretching a hand for the girl to take. He adjusted his glasses and waited for her to shake his hand.