iv

Mari brushed her sweaty hands on her pants as she walked toward the hotel, she hoped that she could make it into the room without alerting Ji-yeong but that didn't mean she had a good excuse for where the money came from

Mari brushed her sweaty hands on her pants as she walked toward the hotel, she hoped that she could make it into the room without alerting Ji-yeong but that didn't mean she had a good excuse for where the money came from. She planned on telling J-yeong that Mari found it but she knew even that was a flimsy excuse but she couldn't tell her the truth.

She let out a huff before she dug into her pocket to pull out the money that she earned and found she had a lot more than she won, a small smile grew across her face. The man must have snuck the money in her pocket when she wasn't looking, she grabbed the card that was behind the money and looked it over carefully.

She wouldn't talk about it with Ji-yeong but she would have to think it over, it was a good opportunity and it was maybe one that Mari couldn't pass up. She ran a hand over her hair to smooth it down before reaching out and grabbing the hotel doors and swinging them open. Mari glanced over the desk to find it empty so Mari walks towards the stairs and walked up the stairs until she reached the 3rd floor.

It would've been easier to take the elevator but that would've taken too much noise for Mari's liking. She hums as she scans the room numbers before reaching 214, she reaches into her pocket and grabs the key that she had taken before she left and puts it in the lock turning the doorknob wincing as it made a squeaking noise when it was opened. "Hey, where'd you go?" Ji-yeong spoke making Mari jump, Mari let out a sigh before walking into the room and walking towards where Ji-yeong is sitting up in the bed watching Mari with a curious look on her face.

"I had a nightmare, so I needed to take a walk." She half-smiled before she started to take her jacket off, she grabbed the money but made sure to leave the card in the pocket so Ji-yeong wouldn't find it. Ji-yeong sighed before she flipped the lamp that was beside her which illuminated part of the room. "Whatcha got there?" She asks nodding towards the money in Mari's hand which she had a protective grip on.

"Money, I stole it. This way we can stay in the hotel for another night and we even have enough to get something to eat, like a real hot meal Ji-yeong." The woman on the bed gasped before she started to crawl towards Mari who was now at the foot of the bed, Ji-yeong sat back on her legs before she grabbed the money out of Mari's hand and looked at it in wonder.

Ji-yeong looked up to say something but whatever it died on her lips when she saw Mari's cheek, she gently reached up and touched it slightly which made Mari flinch. "Shit, I'm sorry. How did this happen? Did it happen because of this?" Ji-yeong raised the money and shook it to make her point, Mari gulped before shaking her head quickly. "It was just an accident, some kid was playing ball and the ball socked me in the face." Mari lied, she hoped it was believable but by the look on Ji-yeong's face, she couldn't decide if Mari is lying or not.

"Well, I'm sorry and tomorrow we can buy an ice pack if it isn't gone by morning." Mari was going to argue but one looked from Ji-yeong and she closed her mouth. "Do you think you can go to sleep again?" Ji-yeong asks softly, Mari sighs at the thought of sleeping but she nods anyone and walks towards the bed hesitantly, Ji-yeong smiles at her before the woman folds the blanket over so Mari can get in the bed, Mari stares at her before she slowly gets into bed.

She's stiff when she first lays down, she doesn't dare spread out her arms in case they touch Ji-yeong but she hears the woman in question huff before letting a slight giggle. The bed shifted so Mari looks over her shoulder to see that Ji-yeong had turned so she was facing the wall, so a tense Mari did the same thing, slowly her body started to relax. This was the first proper bed she's slept in, in five years and she wasn't going to take that for granted.

||

Mari was woken up by something soft being thrown at her, she jumped up from the bed quickly expecting to look around to see jail cell bars but all she saw was the hotel room. She looked down at her lap confused to see a pair of jeans and a plain shirt. "Hi, good morning, I went out this morning and grabbed you some clothes," Ji-yeong said from the end of their bed. Mari looked at Ji-yeong confused before she turned her head quickly towards the stack of money that was still on the table. She didn't want to count it but she didn't know how Ji-yeong could be able to afford this. "I found some money, like a lot so I took it." Ji-yeong had this grin on her face that told Mari to believe so she did, if she squinted she could see a faint bruise popping up on Ji-yeong's cheek but Mari told herself that she was just seeing things.

"Uh thank you," Mari said as she gets out of bed and looks at the clothes, she knew that they would fit. "You're welcome, I thought that you could take a shower and change um and I could wash the clothes you have on and we can go out to an actual restaurant. Maybe even a nice dinner tonight." Ji-yeong explained bouncing on her feet, Mari sucked her teeth before a smile grew on her face. "That sounds nice." Mari thought it sounded like a date but she wasn't going to say that to Ji-yeong so she kept her mouth shut and grabbed her clothes before walking to the bathroom to take a shower.

" Mari thought it sounded like a date but she wasn't going to say that to Ji-yeong so she kept her mouth shut and grabbed her clothes before walking to the bathroom to take a shower