xxii

Once 212 was done with her spiel she told them her name was Han Mi-nyeo after Gi-hun called her missus, everyone was convinced that the other team would attack during the night

Once 212 was done with her spiel she told them her name was Han Mi-nyeo after Gi-hun called her missus, everyone was convinced that the other team would attack during the night. Mari was hesitant to believe them but went along with it she would rather be protected for nothing than dead for not following her team. Gi-hin had instructed them to start sitting u a barricade around their area before the lights went out as a form of cover.

They used blankets and the pallet that the mattresses were on, Mari was folding a blanket by herself as all the women got assigned to doing what Mari called busy work when 101 came over and started to talk to Gi-hun. "Hey, Mr. Ssangmun-dong. So desperate to stay alive, but you really think this will help? It looks really drafty." His words sent a shiver up Mari's back, it sounded like a threat. "What about you? Those scumbags on your so-called team. Do you really trust them?" Gi-hun said not flinching, Mari watched as he looked behind him at his team before looking back at Gi-hun. "If I were one of them, once the fighting starts at night, I'd take the chance to kill you first. After all, you're the strongest one." Gi-hun says before putting the pallet in front of the bed that 101 was on the other side of and started to fasten it into place.

They had less than a minute left until lights out, they all were finished with the job they were assigned to, and sitting on the steps that they moved into the middle, Gi-hun stepped back from his position where he was watching the clock and he turned back towards the team and bent down beside Sang-woo. "The lights will go out soon. They won't be able to easily attack us, but let's take turns keeping watch just in case." Mari frowned not favoring having to keep watch in the dark alone. "Let's do it in pairs, there's a chance one person might fall asleep or side with another team to betray us." Mari gulped as she sat behind Sae-byeok next to Ji-yeong.

"I'll go first. Old people don't get very sleepy." 01 said making Mari close her eyes and shake her head. "Hey, how can we trust an old man like you and fall asleep in peace?" One of the teammates said making Mari roll her eyes. "Hey are you dumb, Sang-woo said to go in teams," Mari spoke up gritting her hand, he opened his mouth to respond but Sang-woo interrupted him. "I'll go first." Sang-woo looked at Gi-hun who looked shocked, but before anyone could say anything else, Ali spoke up. "I'll join you, I'm not sleepy right now."

"Then I'll go next, wake me up when you get tired," Gi-hun says watching as Ali nods his okay. "Then I'll join you if you're okay with that." 01 suggested Mari was surprised when Gi-hun nodded giving his permission.

Mari looked to her right at Ji-yeong who nodded, which meant they agreed, they were on a team together and would keep watch because it was Mari and Ji-yeong against the world, they could only depend on each other.

Mari yawned in her hand and tried to stifle it but she didn't have to because the clock turned to zero and the lights went out, Mari tried not to trip as she made it to her bed for the night, she was expecting to be woken up by someone, not by a blaring alarm that made her jump awake, she looked around in fear thinking that she was being killed or she wasn't where she thought she was anymore and she was back in the prison and it was all some sick dream that her brain made up but it wasn't she was still on the uncomfortable mattress surrounded by a barricade. She stood up quickly and looked at Ji-yeong confused but she just shrugged at Mari.

She flinched when the guards started to storm into the room and the electronic voice through the speakers ordered them to line up in the center of the room. "Move it!" One guard instructed who came into their barricade after another guard moved it. She took a deep breath as she followed the rest of her team into the center.

They were all made to stand in the center while a guard walked past each one of them and looked at them like they were a piece of meat about to be sold it made Mari shiver in thought, and Mari still didn't know what was going on and by the look of the other's players face they didn't know either. Which made the announcement that was played all the more shocking. "The fourth game will begin momentarily. All players, follow the staff's instructions and proceed to the game hall."

"