vi

Mari walked out of the restaurant with a frown on her face, but she didn't let the frown slip out until Ji-yeong was away

Mari walked out of the restaurant with a frown on her face, but she didn't let the frown slip out until Ji-yeong was away. She knew that if Ji-yeong saw her frown she would insist to stay which was the last thing that Mari wanted. As she walked closer to the casino she could feel the feeling creeping up on her. The itch that she had to play and try to win money, she had fought so hard but now that she was in reach she just needed to play. She would limit herself to one game, she promises herself.

Mari couldn't fall into debt again, she has nothing left to give. Her hand shook as she grasped the handle of the casino, as soon as she opened the door the smell of money rushed towards her, she gulped and walked in. Mari stood frozen in the doorway for a second before she turned her head to find the slot machines, when she saw them she couldn't help but grin.

She grabbed a stack of bills from her pocket and inserted them into the machine carefully, she pulled the handle that was on the side of the machine quickly but frowned when she loses, she shakes it off before inserting a few more bills that were in her hand. "Haha." She cheered softly when this time she won, it wasn't a lot but it gave her the buzz that she needed. She placed the money back into the machine and pulled the handle. This time she lost, she let out a laugh frustrated before she decided to cut her losses with the slot machine.

Mari backed away as she stuck the money that was in her hand back into her pocket, she was debating if she should leave to go back to the hotel when her eyes caught the poker table, it wasn't a good idea but it was calling her so before Mari knew it her legs were leading her towards the table. She grabbed a seat, reached into her pocket, and grabbed a handful of money before plopping it on the table. "Is that enough?" Mari asked the dealer who grabbed the money and steady the bills carefully before giving a small nod.

"You're going down." A man said next to Mari chuckling, Mari huffed but didn't respond, instead, she kept her on the dealer watching as she dealt out the cards. Mari shuffled to the side she the dealer started to deal out the cards so the guy next to her wouldn't see her hand. She picked up her cards and looked at them with a frown, but she was lying. She thought that she had a fairly good hand, so she played it but she lost big time. "See, I told you I would beat you." The guy next to her said laughing, Mari was seething in anger.

She tried to take a few breaths to calm herself but that anger was overcoming her so she raised her hand and punched him in the nose. She felt the crack of his nose under her hand that was throbbing, she jumped off the stool when he started to move towards her with his hands out like he was going to strangle her but he was held back by a security guard that the dealer must've called over as soon as Mari punched the man. "I'm so sorry," Mari said quickly crossing her arms, she was embarrassed about acting like that. "You should be, you little bitch broke my nose." The man said cradling his nose, Mari smirked before looking at him. "Not to you, you deserved it. I was talking about the security guard." Later she would wonder where this confidence came from, but she felt like it was warranted. The man stepped closer to Mari which caused her to take a step back, before the guy can move any closer the guard stepped in. "Okay, I think you're going to have to leave."

Mari looked smug before she realized the guard was talking to her. "What? Why?" Mari asked crossing her arms. "You punched first, and you keep trying to escalate the situation so we're gonna have to ask you to leave." Mari huffed but nodded slowly, she turned towards the dealer to ask for her winnings but she realized she didn't get any so she stuffed her hands in her pockets and walked towards the door.

She took her hand out and pushed the door open, she was embarrassed, She's never acted like that but she was so angry. Mari ran a hand over her face before she reached into her pocket to get money for the bus ride home but she felt nothing. She paled before she started to pull her pockets inside out but nothing fell on the sidewalk. All that fell out was the number.

Mari picked it up with shaking hands, she lost all the money, she didn't know how she was going to tell this to Ji-yeong. She once again ruined something good for her, Mari looked at the number. She knew what she had to do.

It wasn't a bad offer, with her mind made up Mari walked to the payphone which was across the street and started to input the number that was on the card. "Hello, I'm Yi Mari. You gave me your card the other night." As Mari was talking she felt her mouth dry but she folded her arm across herself listening as the person on the other side asked her a question. "Yes." Mari's voice shook as she gave her answer.

They had asked her for an address so Mari can be picked up, she felt nervous but she looked around for the street sign and rattled off the nearest street sign that she saw before she was allowed to hang up. As per instructions she walked out of the phone booth and started to make her way towards the sign, to her surprise right as she got there a van pulled up.

"Yi Mari?" A man asked after he rolled down the window, Mari wrapped her coat around her when a strong breeze blew past her but she nodded her head. "The password?" The man asked, Mari, gulped rubbing her hands together. "Red light, green light." And then the door to the back seat opened.