xxiii

Mari got in line and followed instructions, they were walking through the pink hallways when they stopped, Mari's eyes brows as she tried to see what happened

Mari got in line and followed instructions, they were walking through the pink hallways when they stopped, Mari's eyes brows as she tried to see what happened. She managed to get herself into the corner, she let out a gasp and covered her mouth with her hands. "You are witnessing the fates of those who broke the rules of this world for their own benefit and furthermore tainted the pure ideology of this world. Here you are all equal, with equal opportunity and no discrimination and we promise to prevent such misfortunes from happening again. We truly apologize for this tragedy." Mari closed her eyes and rubbed them harshly, it was the doctor from 101's team and 4 of their own guards. They were strung up in the middle of the room like a piece of meat.

But when the line started moving Mari was pushed when she was frozen with fear, she tripped over her feet but she let out a shaky breath as she started to fall in step with the rest of them. She climbed the steps following everyone, she couldn't see Ji-yeong anymore as she was too far ahead of her but Mari is led into a giant white room.

It was almost too clean and they had a breeze going in the room, Mari shivered and wrapped her arms around herself as she walks down the short flight of stairs until she got to the bottom floor. Once Mari reached the bottom floor she saw Gi-hun and let out a sigh of relief, she walked towards the group and could see Ji-yeong in the back. Mari grabbed her hand once she reached her and squeezed it, Ji-yeong gave her a confusing look but Mari mouthed later, she would explain then because they would have time. "Welcome to your fourth game. This game will be played in teams of two, find someone you wish to play the game with. With Mutual consent, shake hands and you will become partners." The electronic voice said through the speakers, Mari looked at Ji-yeong with wide eyes.

"Should we be partners?" Mari asked as the group disperses and starts to talk about who they should be paired with. "I don't know, I don't want to put your life in danger. We don't know what this game is about, we could be against each other or we could be a team. After what we saw in the room with the stairs I don't know if I want to risk it. You're all I have left Mari, I can't lose you." Mari sniffed but nodded, she used the back of her hand to wipe her tears. She understood but she really wanted Ji-yeong to know that she had her back, Mari wouldn't let anything happen to Ji-yeong and she hopes that Ji-yeong understands that.

Their conversation is stopped by Mi-nyeo who's trying to get someone to team up with her, she's facing the group now after she tried both Gi-hun and Sang-woo and was turned down. "I know you all want to team up with me. You're just hesitating. Why? Can't decide? Should I just decide for you all?" Mari opened her mouth to respond when Sae-byeok did it for her. "Stop embarrassing yourself, that won't get anyone to play with you. Just be honest, you don't want to team up with a woman or an old man." She looked between both Gi-hun and Sang-woo who didn't want to admit she was right.

Mari sighed and raised her knees closer to her chest. "Of course not, our lives are at stake. We almost died playing Tug-of-War." One of the guys down in front said, Mari, rolled her eyes as she started to play with her fingers. "You're right, there's a reason why God created Eve from Adam's rib. God has given men and women different roles and uses." Mari knew who it was, it was the same guy from the elevator who was the one saying that god made them kill people, Mari didn't know what this game was but she knew one thing, she wasn't going to partner with him.

"You idiots, this isn't the Garden of Eden," Ji-yeong says from beside Mari, Mari looked behind her when she heard movement, she watched as Sae-byeok stood up. "Hey, where are you going?" Gi-hun stops Sae-byeok's movements, She paused and turned to look at him slowly. "Why? You want to team up with me?" When Gi-hun didn't say anything Sae-byeok kept walking, and with a sigh, Ji-yeong stood up and followed her, Mari wanted to go but she couldn't move. Her legs felt like jelly, she was frozen to her spot, she looked to her right to see 276 sitting behind Ali. Mari didn't know him but maybe that would be good for this challenge, she didn't know what was going to happen but maybe they could work together.

Mari was shocked when Sang-woo picked Ali, so she scooted closer to 276 and started to make her plea. "We don't know each other very well but I think that we could make a good team, what do you think?" It was more than a second after Mari made her plea when 276 nodded and held his hand out for Mari to shake, she raised her eyebrows in surprise for a second before she clasped the hand and shook it firmly with a slight smile.

Mari sighed as she looked around to try and find who Ji-yeong ended up with, she watched with a surprised look as Sae-byeok and Ji-yeong shook hands. She let out a sigh of relief because she knows that Sae-byeok will protect her when Mari can't.