- cory matthews || not what it looks like

'cory, i cant believe you right now. i didn't think you were that kind of guy.' i said in between tears.

i had just saw cory and a girl from my math class kissing at chubbies. i was sick, and wasn't supposed to come out but i thought i would suprise him and see him.

obviously he had other plans.

'wait! y/n! it's not what it looks like!' i hear as i'm walking up the stairs.

i froze dead in my tracks.

what did he think he was going to say? did he just expect me to forgive him? my boyfriend, of nearly a year, was kissing this girl named Tamara. and to make matters worse, Tamara has been my arch nemesis since i was 7!

i turned around to face him. the whole of chubbies were silent and watching us. Even Shawn and Topanga had stopped making out and were eager to know what i was going to say.

'Cory, what is it then? We're you walking and just tripped and fell onto that whores lips?'

there was a few gasps as Tamara piped up.

'you did not just call me a whore.'

'yes. i did.'

i walked down the stairs. i walked up to cory, and for a second, relief filled his face. maybe he thought i was going to give him a chance to explain.

but i wasn't.

i wasn't thinking straight. i couldn't. i was full of anger and i slapped cory in the face.

'y/n! come on lets go.' topanga said, grabbing my arms and trying to pull me away.

but i wasn't done yet.

i pushed him off and slapped Tamara.

at that point shawn had decided to pick me up and carry me up the stairs with topanga following not far behind.

'y/n, i know you're mad but you can't get violent.' topanga said.

'don't start with the 'violence is never the option' thing. you don't go talking about how violence isn't the option when shawn is out there punching guys!'

i sat down on the ground right outside the entrance to chubbies.

'i guess that's true. but you still shouldn't.'

they both sat next to me.

it was always us. us four. we all met when we were in kindergarten. cory and topanga met first, and me and shawn met first. then, cory fell over the fence at the zoo and shawn had to save him. and that's how we met.

it was us until about 2nd grade. topanga had started becoming weird and the boys started to think girls were icky and had cooties.

so me and topanga went off by ourselves and so did the boys.

and then we came back together in 7th grade.

'look, how about i stay over at yours tonight, and we can have a girls night okay? we can do our nails and put on face masks and watch rom-coms. how does that sound?' topanga said.

'how could i say no?'

________________________________________________________________

topanga had just fallen asleep, but i was still awake watching the end of the breakfast club.

john had his fist up in the air as i heard a slight tap at the window next to my dresser.

cory.

i rolled my eyes and kept on watching the screen. the movie was over but i was just listening to the music and watching the credits roll out.

'come on y/n. please just let me explain.'

i went up to my window and opened the blinds.

there, was cory holding out a bouquet of flowers.

lily's. they were my favourite.

'please y/n. there is an actual explanation to this i promise.'

i opened my window and climbed out to sit on the roof next to him.

'go on then. speak.'

he took a deep breath in and started fiddling with his hands.

'i was at chubbies with shawn and topanga. i was going to get you some ice-cream and drop it off. while i went to buy it for you, tamara had gotten the last tub. so i asked her if i could have it instead. i offered to pay her for it. she said if i kissed her, she would give it to me. i said no, but then she saw a glimpse of you and kissed me, and i didn't have any time to react. you know i don't like her. i don't like anyone other than you, y/nn.'

cory didn't lie. i mean, he would lie sometimes but usually for stupid reasons, such as putting in the wrong milk into my tea (the amount of times i've had to run to the bathroom and he has said 'but i put oat milk in it!' is countless), but i knew he wouldn't lie about something so stupid.

but i was hurt.

even if it wasn't his fault, and if he in-fact told tamara to shove it up her ass when she asked for a kiss, i couldn't just get over it that easy.

'i believe you.'

he sat up straight when i said that.

'you do? oh thank god i don't want to lose you.'

as he went in for a kiss, i stopped him.

'cory, i believe you. but i'm still hurt. i just need some time.'

he went back to his slumped over position, watching the stars in the clear night sky.

'oh.'

'thank you cory. i still love you but i just need time.'

and with that, i took my lily's and went back inside, closing my window and blinds and hopping into bed.

why was this all so complicated?