𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮

Come morning, I didn't feel like leaving my room. I let my regret glue me to my bed until my father came in.

"Y/N. You should get some fresh air, mija. It's a nice day out." He said.

Every time I would have a bad night, papá would try to convince me to get out the house and try again. This was one of those times, but I definitely didn't feel like going out there again. Into human society.

"I don't wanna." I buried myself deeper in the sheets.

"It's a new day, Y/N. A new day means a brand new start."

"A brand new start? Or a continuation of this life?"

I heard him sigh, meaning I had cornered him. My bed tilted from his weight as he sat across from me.

"I know it's hard, Y/N. But what else can we do?" Papá asked aloud.

"We could not eat people." I answered despite him not really asking me.

"You know why we can't do that! Coffee only holds for so long. Trying to live off of regular food won't do us any good. It doesn't have the same effect on us as it does for the rest of the village." Papá started raising his voice. But I won't regret speaking what I want.

"I don't want to kill." I muttered, refraining from shouting back.

"I'm sorry, mija. I shouldn't have raised my voice." He apologized. "Look, at least step outside. This room is stuffy."

I sighed in defeat, knowing he wont stop nagging me about it unless I do it. I pushed him out and threw on some clean clothes. I chugged down a cup of coffee to hopefully hold it down until nighttime and left. My anxiety was way out of wack as I approached the town. I paused, catching sight of a crowd around a familiar house.

That didn't take long

"It was the necrofaga!" Someone shouted. (Ghoul)

"That's just ridiculous. There's no need for a made up story, just admit it's some crazy lunatic!" Someone else argued.

I continued walking, since I already knew what was going on. Out of all the possible names like monster, zombie, or werewolf, they come up with Ghoul. What even is a ghoul? Sounds like something the children started. But I guess it's interesting to listen to people debate whether it was a murderer on the loose, or the ghoul. It was only a few weeks ago that people started finding the remains.

I've become too reckless lately. Or perhaps I want them to catch me.

"Lovely day, Hermosa?" (Beautiful)

I turned my attention towards the sudden voice and came face to face with a boy who looked my age. He wore a yellow ruana with dark stripes and a chameleon imprint. He had golden, curly hair and a soft smile. He was kinda handsome actually. Ay Dios mío, snap out of it! (Oh my god)

"Uh, yes. I guess it is." I answered as politely as possible. I took his smile as a sign I did okay.

"So you new around here, Hermosa?" He asked clearly flirting.

I was immediately reminded how often I locked myself up in the house. And whenever I did get out, I always tried to keep to myself.

"Not exactly. I just prefer to be indoors more often so no one really sees me wondering about." I started to loose myself in his eyes. They were very pretty.

"Find that a little hard to believe, Princesa." He smirked. "You've got pretty e/c eyes to." (Princess)

He noticed I was staring at him!! So embarrassing!

"No need to get so flustered, Hermosa. So, what's your name?" He chuckled at my tomato of a face as I reluctantly answered "Y/N L/N."

"Y/N, never heard such a lovely name before." He took my hand placing a kiss on the top sending fireworks to my heart. "Camilo Madrigal, the one and only." He winked.

Wait he's a Madrigal? From La Casa Madrigal? It's not like I didn't know who they were, but, I knew people with a history like mine wouldn't really get along with people like the Madrigals. If Camilo were to find out, he would no doubt grow to hate me.

"Later tonight, my familia is throwing a big party for my Tio Pedro. Everyone is invited, so what do you say?" He asked staring into my eyes.

YES! Party with a handsome chico! I mean....friend. (Boy)

"I'd love to." I accepted his invitation making him smile.

He smells...really good.

Oh no. Now?! It's not even sun set yet, a cup should've been enough to last the day! I started panicking inside, and gave Camilo a smile.

"Listen, my papá wants me back home right about now. But I promise to attend the party." I slowly started to back away.

"Then I'll be waiting for you! Nos vemos esta noche princesa!" He waved goodbye as I went the other direction back home. (See you tonight Princess)

~~~~~

As I entered my home, a strong aroma filled my nostrils. I followed it to the kitchen where the food sat on the counter. Papá stood by the counter finishing his fill with his ghoul eyes replacing the human ones.

"Seems like we both couldn't hold it down today, huh?" My father tried to lighten the mood.

I ate what he brought home while avoiding his gaze. Truth was I still had some blush thinking about Camilo. Like all fathers, I didn't want him to flip out over a boy.

"Papá, I heard that the Madrigals are throwing another party tonight. The entire village is invited to come." I started to hint my point. Luckily he caught on pretty quick.

"I don't know mija. It's the whole village together. I don't want you to loose control of your eyes again." He responded.

I hung my head in disappointment. But he was right. The last time we tried to attend a party, I couldn't control my appearance well enough against the strong scent. It was a miracle no one had noticed before I ran out of there, but after that day I couldn't get myself to try anything like that again. Not until I met Camilo.

"Ay Dios mío! It's a boy isn't it?"

Dumbfounded, I looked at papá as he laughed at me. I turned away and hid my face in embarrassment.

"N-No! It's not! That not the reason at all!"

"Ay mija, look at your face! You're all red." Papá said exposing me.

At least he's not angry.

"So who is he?" He asked.

"I told you it's not a boy!" I repeated. "It couldn't be. It's just too dangerous for me to love anybody like that! And he's a Madrigal! It's a forbidden love we're talking here!"

"He's a Madrigal?"

Oh snap!

I clasped my mouth shut shaking my head. He didn't look angry, nor happy, but it was like a mixture of both. He placed his hands on my shoulders, meaning he had something serious to say.

"Y/N. The one thing that makes us human, even just a little bit, is love. Without it, we may as well quit our normal life. I don't want this curse to prevent you from finding that love."

"Even if it was with a Madrigal?" I asked.

"I don't care who it is, just as long as you're happy." He said.

I guess I didn't really pay much attention to that fact before. That love is the only thing we have left to humanize us. If we loose it, we wouldn't have the right to call ourselves human anymore. The ghoul would win. But is it worth risking our lives again?

Is love worth the risk?