𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭

"Buenos días papá." (Good Morning dad)

I greeted my father as I came out my room. He looked up from his newspaper and smiled.

"Buenos días cariño. Did you sleep well?" (Good morning honey)

"I guess so." I answered in between yawns.

I've decided to take a stroll through town today like a normal person instead of just sitting in my room again. After dressing in something more presentable, I hugged my father goodbye and sprinted out the door.

"Be careful, amor!" My father shouted through the door. (Love)

I strolled into town, and it was pretty active for the nearby market. But when is it not so crowded? I made my way through the crowd observing the clothing, fruits, and food being sold all around. I took in the smell and smiled at the amazing scent.

"Empanadas. Patacones. Arepa de Queso." I started naming off everything I smelt in my head. It's become a regular thing I do every time I'm out.

"Buñuelos...Anjiaco....Pupusas...𝙁𝙇𝙀𝙎𝙃!"

I froze in place, startle by the voice in my head. Suddenly, the sweet aroma that was coming from the food, was instead coming from the villagers. It was so sweet, I felt like drooling. An overwhelming hunger took over, and I plugged my nose in a panic as I ran straight for home.

I ran into my room, slamming the door behind me. All I could do was hide under my bedsheets like a little kid while keeping my nose plugged. Despite how hungry I was getting each passing second, I refused to submit to it. I heard my door open and my father walk in.

"Y/N? Qué pasó?" He asked pulling the sheet off me. (What happened?)

His face had changed to a more sympathetic one as I looked at him with tears blurring my vision.

"Y/N. Your eyes, mija." (My daughter)

He pointed out my eyes and gestured me to the mirror. I saw my reflection, and turned my back.

"You're hungry? Aren't you?" Papá asked

I shook my head, but as expected he didn't believe me. He left me alone and came back with a cup of coffee in his hands, handing it to me. I didn't bother to cool it off before drinking it. My overwhelming hunger slowly start to die down. I turned back to the mirror, finally seeing myself again.

"That should sooth it just for a while longer." Papá sat beside me.

I toyed with the cup in silence before I said anything.

"This isn't fair. It isn't right." I choked out. "Why did this happen to us, papá? What did we do wrong?"

I silently sobbed into my fathers embrace. This just wasn't fair. We shouldn't be the ones to be punished for something that happened so long ago. We shouldn't be the ones struggling right now.

"I wish mamá was still here."

"I know, mija. Me to." Papá spoke in his soft voice.

Loosing my mother was just as hard on him as it was on me. Honestly, it was hard on both of us. But I can't help but feel relieved that she isn't going through this.

"You can go tonight if you want. Or I can." Papá offered.

I sighed in defeat. Again.

"I'll go." I reluctantly denied his offer.

There was just no beating it. An overwhelming hunger like this was unbearable.

~~~~~

As night approached, I was getting prepared to set out. I changed into my black ruana bringing along a backpack, and a f/c mask. I exited my home and into the darkness. The village was kinda scary when it was so empty and quiet. I snuck around for a while until I could smell that same, sweet aroma. It was strong. I peeked around the corner, and a man was having what looked like a picnic dinner with a woman. I'm pretty sure they were on a honeymoon.

I can't. I won't!

I swallowed the urge to pounce, and went a different direction. There's no way I could allow myself to ruin a family. Not again. Instead, I set my sights on a loner in his home.

Pull yourself together, Y/N! It's for you and papá.

I made my way towards the house, and as quietly as possible snuck inside. I watched the man from a short distance, making a bit of noise to draw him closer to me. When he got up to check what the noise was, I crouched down and waited. Until finally, I clasped his mouth shut and without hesitation sunk my teeth into his neck. His muffled screams soon went silent as his vocal cords were destroyed.

I pinned him to the ground face down. My tears of regret and guilt clouding my vision as I muttered my final words to this innocent man.

"Please forgive me...but your life is going to allow us to live."

After that, I no longer felt him struggling beneath me. By now the hunger was uncontrollable, and I couldn't control my eyes. My cursed instinct forced me to dig into the cold, lifeless body. I ate until I was satisfied for the night and packed the remaining away in the bag for papá.

~~~~~

I emptied my bag out and left the food out for papá. I silently entered my room changing out of the bloodstained clothing and into my nightwear.

Yes, this was my new life. The same routine follows, I wake up acting as if I was normal, but in reality I'm far from it. I was a nuisance to this village. Once they uncover the truth, they'll no doubt have it out for us. So what do we do?

What can we do?